Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1991 Dakota with 2.5L won't start. It has plenty of spark, fuel at the throttle body and injector, compression is 110 psi is all cylinders. I have set and re-checked the timing multiple times.

Truck died with my son driving it. I checked codes and replaced MAP sensor and Engine Coolant temperature sensor based on codes.

Timing is correct with marks on camshaft, crankshaft and intermediate shaft with #1 at TDC and flywheel mark at 0 degrees and rotor button pointing at #1 plug.

Used spark tester and pulled plugs and watched spark to prove good spark.

Replaced distributor cap, wires, rotor button, and plugs. Spark does not seem to be the problem.

I pulled fuel line and injector and have plenty of fuel.

#1 and #2 plugs seem dry after repeated cranking. #3 and #4 plugs are wet.

Replaced idle air control (automatic idle sensor motor) and EGR valve.

Fully charged battery and I think the Fluke said 13.5 volts when checked.

With fuel, air, compression, and spark, I am at a lost why it won't fire/start.

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I took the valve cover off and found 3 rocker arms off. They were just "kicked" to the side. I put them back on and the engine fired right up. I am going to replace lifters and valve springs. The 3 valve springs (2 exhaust and 1 intake on cylinder 1, 3, 4) are lower than the others and let the rocker arms come off.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Dang. Good on ya for replying the fix. Not very often that there's a fix posted from the original author let alone that quickly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts