Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo, ive got a 1993 dodge dakota just changed the clutch, and water pump whilst in there to get the pump out I removed the timing belt to replace it. Mustve threw my timing off. Im trying to find top dead center, theres two marks one on each timing gear do i just make rhem point at one another? My truck wont start now and I really want the women at work to respect me, tired of walking to work.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yes. The timing marks should be on a line with the centers of the crankshaft and the camshaft. The manual further states that to verify correct timing, you should rotate the crankshaft until the cam sprocket timing mark is at about the 2 o'clock position, then count the chain link pins between the cam sprocket timing mark and the crank sprocket timing mark. There should be 20 pins (10 links) of the timing chain between the marks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Im sorry dawg im not into the timing chain mines a belt. i just needed to fire it which i did with lots of help from the dealership pics i had to get. Therez markz where you wouldnt even believe haha. I replaced the idler pulley as well now it wont stop rattling each time i hit gas...and im tired of working on it. Ive got it timed. And it runs and fires. Hitting your timing and finding top dead center and getting it to go is fricking hard haha �� The incessant rattling just bugs me now. The new pulleys made of plastic???????? I appreciate it tho bro <3

·
Registered
517 Posts
I apologize. I was not aware that there were two 2.5L engines used in the Dakota. The Chrysler developed 2.5L (sister to the 2.2L) engine was used in a lot of Chrysler models, and did use a timing belt. The Dakota used this engine until 1995. Starting in 1996, the Dakota used the AMC developed 2.5L engine, which used a timing chain. This is the engine I provided pictures for.

For the earlier 2.5L engines, allpar.com provides a very good guide on setting the cam timing, which also includes timing the intermediate shaft, which drives the distributor and the oil pump. See the following link:

https://www.allpar.com/fix/timing-belt-22.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts