Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headlights high and low beam wouldn't turn on. Pulling the the turn signal lever, the "flash to pass" high beams, the lights come on until the lever is released. I replaced the switch and the headlights worked for a while then quit working again. Replaced the switch again and again they worked for a while before they quit again. Parking lights, brake lights, tail lights, and all interior lights work fine. Anyone else having the same problem and solved it? Tired of having to replace the switch every couple months.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm no electrician for sure, but have you gone over all the wiring in between the cab and headlights as best you can? Perhaps hook the headlights directly up to a battery just to make sure that it's not a problem with the headlights themselves?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Item 0 - have you checked the multi function switch? The headlights go through the MFS.

Item 1 - What kind of shape is the connector in? Instead of replacing the switch, consider removing/reinstalling the same switch. And look carefully at the connector. If in doubt, order a new one from someplace (like RockAuto) and SOLDER/HEATSHRINK, not CRIMP, the wires in replacing it.

Item 2 - When you get it working, GET A RELAY HARNESS UP FRONT!!!! There's too much current flowing through the headlight switch and the MFS for me to feel comfortable as an Electronics Technician. I like the Putco 100W relay; it may need to be repinned for your headlights if your truck is using 9004s. You can find out how with the YouTube videos out there.

RwP

1 - 3 of 3 Posts