Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed out the bulbs in the instrument panel to blue LEDs and now I have a solid left turn light that is on and my left turn signal doesn’t work I checked to make sure that bulb was the regular incandescent bulb behind the panel. I also checked the outside bulbs front and rear, Ive also checked the fuses anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
On all the time, or only when the lights are on?

If you do a right turn, does the left turn signal indicator go out?

Your truck is old enough, it MIGHT be the multi function switch failing; but before you tackle that, obtain the factory service manual so you have decent wiring diagrams to follow to see where it's coming from.

Hint: It's not a Haynes Dakota or Chiltons Dakota ...

RwP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Your truck is old enough, it MIGHT be the multi function switch failing; but before you tackle that, obtain the factory service manual so you have decent wiring diagrams to follow to see where it's coming from.

RwP

RwP
Thanks for your reply Ralph I really appreciate it!! So when I start it up the lights are off and when I flip the switch down for a left turn it stays on just a steady green left arrow no clicking and it will just remain on even when I turn the switch to off until I turn the key off. When I make a right turn the left signal light would just stay on but when I turn my hazards on everything works inside and outside normally (blinking) I’ll hunt down that service manual thanks for the hint and for your time.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Just checked the wiring (page 8W-52-4 to be specific); yep, about the ONLY place that can be happening is if the turn signal switch (aka the "multi function switch") has failed, which is either coincidental, or was damaged getting the cluster out and back in.

You can find the paper copies used quite often on Ebay; Bishko Publishing does the reproduction for FCA, so they sell it on their web site, and Summit and I think Jegs (and I'm sure others!) have the disc version available for sale. Disc version is under $40 from Bishko, just as a price point (if someone wants to sell you one for $125, they're not worth talking to.)

Good news! They're not that hard to replace, and not all that expensive - RockAuto shows them under $67 for the most expensive one. They are different for with and without interval wipers, so get the right one (interval is cheaper, but the plugs are different.)

RwP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just checked the wiring (page 8W-52-4 to be specific); yep, about the ONLY place that can be happening is if the turn signal switch (aka the "multi function switch") has failed, which is either coincidental, or was damaged getting the cluster out and back in.

You can find the paper copies used quite often on Ebay; Bishko Publishing does the reproduction for FCA, so they sell it on their web site, and Summit and I think Jegs (and I'm sure others!) have the disc version available for sale. Disc version is under $40 from Bishko, just as a price point (if someone wants to sell you one for $125, they're not worth talking to.)

Good news! They're not that hard to replace, and not all that expensive - RockAuto shows them under $67 for the most expensive one. They are different for with and without interval wipers, so get the right one (interval is cheaper, but the plugs are different.)

RwP
Thanks Ralph I’ll get one ordered up and give it a shot!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts