Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
855 Posts
Jaydaug, I am not saying that Wikipedia is wrong, but this site says that '96 through '99 Daks with 5.2 had the 44RE. I am also NOT saying to take this site as gospel.

I was reading a thread on tranny types & I believe someone said that it should be stamped on the side of the tranny. I'll take a look & see if I can find that post.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
855 Posts
In this thread

someone told the OP that there is a plate with tranny ID on the right side of the tranny.
This guy has a 99 4wd with 5.2 and it turned out he does have the 44RE.

Here is his follow up thread on that subject.

And to be "sure," I guess something else you could do is go to Rockauto.com & put in your Dak and go to the tranny section and it will show you the pans available and it will identify them as to which tranny they came from. You could print the picture of them and then compare them to your tranny pan.

On a quick edit: here is what Dakotaff says about the location of the identifier on the tranny itself:
"The identification plate is attached to the right side of the transmission case. The 42RE/44RE/46RE is a 4-speed fully automatic transmission with electronic governor. The ID numbers are stamped on the case's left side just above the oil pan."
So it is either on the right side or the left side or both.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts