Dakota Forumz banner

1998 dodge dakota slt 3.9 4wd Stalling when turning wheel

Tags
stalling
1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  J.D. 
#1 ·
Hello. I have a 1998 dodge dakota as the title shows. It has been sitting for about a year and I recently got it running again. Today as I was moving it I realize that if I don’t have my foot on the accelerator as I turn the wheel it will stall out. When it stalls out it will try to crank back up but
Will never turn back over, ill have to wait about 20 minutes and then it will crank right back up. I’m wondering if anyone else has ever had this issue and if they did how did they fix it. It’s a 3.9L v6 with the automatic transmission. Thanks

#2 ·
I had an issue with the truck stalling when in reverse and turning the wheel hard to back into my driveway. This was the only time it would stall, but it happened a lot. I ended up fixing this by replacing a Idle Air Control valve on the back of the throttle body. You might try removing your IAC valve and giving this area a good cleaning with carburetor cleaner spray to see if that improves the problem.

Good luck,
Dynamo

#4 ·
Hey Zachary, you may want to also drain and flush the steering fluid system I had an instance where the steering pump had alot of sludge build up and that caused the pump to almost cease up but still turned I ran some denatured alcohol through it and it helped! Way to find out if you need to replace your IAC is to turn your ac on while sitting still if it's bad then your engine will stall that way as well! If it doesn't while the ac is on then that's not the total culprit if anything for good measure flush the power steering system if it doesn't do it you're only out the cost of alcohol and new steering fluid? Good luck either way you decide to go?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.