Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I want to upgrade my 15 gallon tank to the 22 gallon tank. I'm just wondering if it will fit in my truck and what's the difference between the fuel pumps for the 15/22 gallon tanks? Can I reuse my 15 gallon fuel pump or do I need to upgrade that too? The airtex E7114M and E7116M both appear to have the same depth as far as I can tell. I could be wrong. Does anyone have experience with this mod?

·
Registered
294 Posts
not sure about the 99s, but the earlier trucks I have done what you want to do. They took the same PN fuel pump between the 15 and the 22 gallon versions, used the same straps and everything. I don't know, they may actually be the same tanks as the up to '96s used... would not surprise me a bit either way. .

·
Registered
490 Posts
While a bit OT, I have a Gen 2 03 3.9 extra cab. My fuel system does not hold pressure and requires turning key to on listen for the pump to stop switch off then on till pump stops second time then it starts normally. The plan is to replace the pump assembly. I was not sure weather I have a 20 or 22 gallon tank as it seems they use a different pump. I slid under and got the part number and it looks to be a 22 gallon. I'm trying to figure weather dropping the tank or lifting the bed is the best and safest? On top of that I'm wondering why if it is 22 gallons why does the fuel light come on and while I have had to drive 20 or 30 more miles for gas it still never takes more than 17 gallons? Steve

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I'd lift the bed; that way, if there's a problem with the new pump, it's up and plumbed and wired in for easier troubleshooting.

As to why the light goes on at 15 to 17 gallons down; would you rather it come on at 21.5 gallons down? Or you may be short-filling it; quite often when I get my first cutoff, I can put up to 2 gallons more into my 22 gallon tank.

RwP

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm going to take another look under and think about it some more. I'm aware I may short fill which has to do with trying to get consistent MPG numbers. I fill where there is always lines and not playing around for the last drop is considerate. Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts