Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck: 2000 Dodge Dakota sport 5.9 v8 automatic 4x4
I have 1,2, and 3 then as soon as it shifts to 3rd the TC locks up. It doesn't even try to shift into overdrive. It randomly made the shift a few days ago. Overdrive grabbed perfectly fine but I had to let off the gas to make my turn. That was the only time its shifted into overdrive. I tried installed the upgraded solenoid kit and it made no difference. Any ideas? On my scan tool it show the truck is asking for 4th gear and the 3-4 solenoid shows 4th gear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Truck: 2000 Dodge Dakota sport 5.9 v8 automatic 4x4
I have 1,2, and 3 then as soon as it shifts to 3rd the TC locks up. It doesn't even try to shift into overdrive. It randomly made the shift a few days ago. Overdrive grabbed perfectly fine but I had to let off the gas to make my turn. That was the only time its shifted into overdrive. I tried installed the upgraded solenoid kit and it made no difference. Any ideas? On my scan tool it show the truck is asking for 4th gear and the 3-4 solenoid shows 4th gear.
I have a 1994 Dakota 4x4 SLT with the 5.2 and I had the same issue. Turned out to be the computer in the engine bay. In my case it sits on the right side fender.
See attached pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure. So, several people/forums mentioned a bad ground connection somewhere in the engine bay. I cleaned ALL body connections to make sure. That didn’t work. Took it to a shop where they replaced several transmission solenoids and it helped my gear shifting by making them smoother but did not fix the overdrive issue. Installed a overdrive switch ( the one on the dash) and that did not help. Took to a transmission shop and they thought it was an electrical issue. It wasn’t. Took to another mechanics shop and they said it was the computer which it was. Computer was only about 100-125 dollars plus labor.
Not sure how vendors feel about electric/electronic parts being returned but maybe someone would be willing to let you try it and see if that fixes the problem without penalizing you on a return if it isn’t.

if you happen to be near a Pull-n-Save maybe you can find a used one for cheap.
With that said.... I trusted their finding and turned out to be correct but did not asked how they came to that conclusion. Sorry.

The shop is... Auto Rebuilders.... Managers name is Jeremy and his numbers are 830- 774-6117 or 830-710-3721.
CLOSED ON FRIDAYS.!!!!! Work Mon thru Thur.
Give them a call and ask about Tony’s white 1994 Dakota they fixed the OD issue. He will remember it. Not many Dakotas around. He might remember how they figured out the computer was the problem and how to diagnose.
By the way, when I first went to them, Jeremey said.. ” Oh yeah, we fixed one in the past with the same issue” . So, you and I apparently are not the only ones with this issue.
Hope this helps !!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts