Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear the 2000 Dakota tranny has a LOT if issues and mine now has 235K miles on it. I noticed a leak on the drip pan I keep under my truck and it began to hesitate going uphill, even a small grade hill. First thing I did was check the fluid, and found it only half way on the dipstick. I filled it to almost MAX and she drives the uphills fine again. I hope I have bought some more time on her tranny. She still leaks a tad but it may just be that gasket to the tranny. I cannot do the change since breaking my back, so I want all my ducks in a row when I take it to a transmission shop. I'm fairly truck intelligent, but they see a woman and......and cha-ching!!:eek::mad:
HERE IS MY QUESTION: IF I need the tranny built should I go with a REMANUFACTURED on or have mine rebuilt? More than one Kota freak has mentioned that REmanufactured is better, but I have not had any issues til now, after the decent front end collision July 2017, so maybe mine is OK to be rebuilt when/IF the time comes.
ALL thoughts welcomed!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
That will depend on the local transmission shop.

I'm lucky, I have three performance shops and a dozen good Pop'N'Son type shops in my town (PATC is about 3 miles up the road from me, IIRC ... 1 to 3, somewhere like that.) So I had no problem getting my 31RH/32RH rebuilt when it decided to lunch itself and try to grenade internally.

If you're not that confident in your local shops, then a remanufactured one may be a better choice for you.

Can't help much more than that; my choice was determined by the local shops. (Well, and it helped that I did computer work for the transmission shop; we swapped some out. Never hurts to be able to barter some of the price down ... )

RwP

·
Registered
3 Posts
transmission not shifting from 1 to 2 under full throttle

99 RT 5.9 ex cab truck and my problem must be a easy one as normal to almost hard full throttle the transmission shifts fine. At a stop and you punch it the truck will take off like a bat out of hell and go to redline and a little above but wont shift into second. then the computer kicks in and shuts off the fuel so you dont blow the engine. Soon as the engine RPM drops the engine comes to life again, keep your foot in it and it will do it again. you ease up just so slightly and the transmission shifts to second and shifts fine after. No check engine or transmission light so does anyone have any ideas?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts