Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys my shifter is extremely hard to shift from 2 to 4 wheel drive either going into high or low. Has anybody had that problem and if so what causes it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is all your shifting linkage at the correct tension? (no slop) If you are in Neutral there should not be any problem.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The number one problem is usually out of adjustment linkages. Other than that, there is a correct way to shift and a wrong way. These trucks are capable of Shift-on-the-fly That means you can shift between 2 and 4wd while the truck is in motion, but it does not mean you can shift between 2 and 4wd any time you want. You can only shift into 4 Hi from 2wd (and vise-versa) at speeds below 20 mph. And you cannot shift into 4 lo when the truck is rolling. To shift into 4 lo, you must be at a complete stop.

Using 4wd. Do not use it on pavement. Unlike an all wheel drive system, 4wd is intended for off road use or where traction is questionable. (Such as ice covered pavement) If you use 4wd on a hard surface like pavement or concrete, the drivetrain tends to bind up resulting in hard shifting between 2 and 4wd, or major drivetrain damage. If you suspect drivetrain bind and shifting is difficult, you may have to back up a few feet to relieve the bind before you attempt to shift the transfer case.

Ed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you that might of been my problem. I always try to shift in 4 wd with the truck not moving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts