Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Dakota that the brakes seem like they have air in them. I have not had the brakes worked on for a good while. This all started very suddenly and if you pump them you seem to have a fairly good pedal but as you step on the brake it goes to the floor. I am not loosing brake fluid and when you take off the cap on the reservoir it has air in it? But where is this air coming from??? I hope someone can help me?

Thks Maintman

·
Registered
81 Posts
The first thing you need to do is check your fluid level?
Okay? Move on.

Is the power brake booster working?

If so check out the proportioning valves.
May have to get someone with a brake code reader to see if they are operating.

Oh make sure you check your fuses that control the anti lock brake system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is full of fluid, I presume it is? How do you tell? No fuses blown or anti lock brake idiot lights.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you checked the master cylinder and it’s full of fluid you most likely do not have a fluid leak.
As for the power brake booster.
Check this video and then we’ll move on.
Don’t worry about the gauge and valve test. Just do the foot on the pedal test.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you checked the master cylinder and it’s full of fluid you most likely do not have a fluid leak.
As for the power brake booster.
Check this video and then we’ll move on.
Don’t worry about the gauge and valve test. Just do the foot on the pedal test.

Well my pedal seems to pump up a bit but when you hold it down it just keeps going down to the floor. I cannot see fluid out of any of the inside wheels leaking and the fluid in the reservoir stays the same. But when you take the cap off the reservoir it is full of air.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Are you telling me that their is fluid missing and the reservoir is empty?
If so you have a leak. That fluid is going somewhere.
Look between the master cylinder and brake booster. Just be loosen the two nuts connecting the master cylinder to the brake booster and see if there is fluid?
If not check the brake lines especially along the frame rail.
Pull the back wheels and drums and check there.
If you still can’t find it the fill with fluid and have someone pump the brakes until you see it dripping.
It’s going somewhere!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you telling me that their is fluid missing and the reservoir is empty?
If so you have a leak. That fluid is going somewhere.
Look between the master cylinder and brake booster. Just be loosen the two nuts connecting the master cylinder to the brake booster and see if there is fluid?
If not check the brake lines especially along the frame rail.
Pull the back wheels and drums and check there.
If you still can’t find it the fill with fluid and have someone pump the brakes until you see it dripping.
It’s going somewhere!
No the reservoir is full of fluid but it has air in it also

·
Registered
81 Posts
While running, pump the pedal until it is firm. If it holds in the same place it is air in the lines, if it slowly descends to the floor it is the master cylinder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts