Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, New to this form, and hope for some assist in solving a continuing problem with my 2002 Dakota four door 2 wheel drive truck with the 4.7 Liter engine. The truck is at 185,000 miles.

The vehicle developed a skip and still has a skip. Miss fire codes indicated the #1 cylinder primary secondary. and Crank sensor.

Here is what has been done thus far:

Removed the plugs and installed new.
Removed the Injectors and cleaned,
Swapped coils around.
Installed crank sensor.

Vehicle ran great for 24 hours then started consistent miss fire.
Computer was sent away,repaired and re programmed
Replaced cam sensor.

Had codes for miss fire on #1, 4, 6, 8

and have ABS wheel sensor code. Until I used torque to clear the codes.

Now have only wheel code and no miss fire, but still has miss fire.

Description: The engine starts with no problem initially, as it comes to temperature the miss seem more like a minute interruption in the whole engine electrical. When the rpm is raised, it is very steady, but this blip is on a very regular interval. At ever two seconds for some time and then changes again with same intervals.

Often it will return to idle with no problem, but with each glitch the rpm get slower and slower until it quits. It restarts with no hesitation.

I have removed grounding wires and cleaned where possible. The battery voltage is a consistent 12 volts.

I have purchased a BAFX OBD2 DONGLE AND INSTALLED TORQUE PRO. for my android tablet.

Is anyone here familiar enough with this this app to tell me if it is possible to actually record the spark graph and miss fire count and the injector profile.

Thanks in advance for all assistance.
Professorbob.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well we are now five months into this miss fire with my 2002 Dodge Dakota and still no joy. To date, set the PCM off to a place in Florida to have it checked and reprogrammed. I have installed NEW OEM, Crank sensor, Cam sensor, Coils on pugs, and throttle position sensor. In addition I installed one PCV valve. Have checked the connectors on the Cam, and crank sensors and their wiring. Also, Checked the ohms on the injectors and they are in spec. I purchased a Creader VII+ with hopes I could view the graphic for the fuel trim and spark wave, but unable to see them because they are so close together. This tool seems to have no way to change the timing sequence to spread out the graphs. If any one has a list of nominal parameters percentages, or max/minimum values for the various code readings I would appreciate knowing the source.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have seen these beasts spit rocker arms off. Cam barely holds them. And a low lifter can kick the rocker arm off. Skips like hell. Little noise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Completed complete valve train timing chain and gear and tensioner kit. New water pump, Mew acessory belt tensioner. And kept getting same codes of P0203pP00206 P0306 til last week. Now just an occasional misfire. Have refueled and added B-12 fuel system cleaner. Am now able to driver the truck without misfire at road speeds. When i com back to idle the truck will have an occasional miss. WONDERING: if fuel tank has debre or water, could this cause intermittent. ALSO. Is the dodge pump system one of recirculating fuel through the injector rail, or is it just consistent pressure of 45-50 lbs. If the pump pressure regulator if failing. could this cause fluctuating pressure enough to cause these misfire codes. Also, since this is a four door truck, Is there an access plate in the floor to access the fuel canister? This truck does not use a distributor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Water in the fuel will most certainly cause all kinds of codes and misfires.
Short of draining the tank run a couple of tanks of fresh fuel with additive through it to clear out the moisture. It’s going to take a while to clear it all out.
I doubt you have a drain in your tank.

if it were me I would remove the tank and get all the junk out of it. Replace the tank boot filter and the line filter.
If the fuel pump has a lot of miles on it replace it also.
No used to have to pull the tank later for a pump replacement.
Good luck and please update us.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts