Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best service manual out there for a 2002 Dakota? Anyone want to sell a used manual? Also, where do you buy your parts online? I'll be looking to replace all the hoses since they are 16 years old. Anyone else replace their evap hoses? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
The best single manual is the Chrysler Factory Service Manual. You might want to check Ebay for a used one; OTOH, even new, Bishko only gets about $40 for one on disc (it's a searchable PDF.)

I buy parts online at RockAuto, on Amazon, and since my truck is a 1988 with a goodly chunk of dealer-only parts NLA, I also check PartsVoice.COM and RearCounter.COM after looking the part number up in the factory parts list I have for my 1988 (no, I don't have either for a 2002).

RwP

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got my factory service manual off one of the links on this website at on the main page for my 2000 Quadcab. It was $15 for a pdf download. It's awesome it's got every nut and bolt on the whole truck. But it doesn't have all the part numbers. I downloaded a separate PDF with the full factory parts list for the whole truck. I wanted to replace my pcv & evap hoses recently as well but the part number for my 2000 4.7 is discontinued. I even had my local Dodge dealer do a nationwide search and they couldn't come up with anything. Some of the EVAP hoses just fuel rated line that you could probably use from anywhere and cut to the right length. The PCV plastic hoses are what is discontinued.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The 2 best manuals are a Chrysler factory, and a Chilton. All the plastic vacuum hoses very difficult to find. You can check with local salvage yards. I'd probably just run the most heat resistant rubber hoses you can find at the local parts store. Keeping in mind to minimize any contact with the engine. The valve covers, and the block itself should be the main heat sources. Just use some high temp zip ties to keep the hose off of them.

·
Registered
2003 RT with 5.9
322 Posts
All I have for my Dakota is a Haynes & it is better than nothing (I guess) but not much. Some of the information in it is just flat out WRONG.

About a year ago I started parts shopping almost exclusively at rockauto.com. Their prices are way better than Advance or 'Zone & the selection in brands is COMPLETELY better. Their delivery time is usually pretty good (however I am still waiting for some head bolts I ordered, nearly a week ago, for my GMC).

When I bought my '03 Dakota in '14, although it was low mileage (about 48k) it had a lot of little issues going on including a check engine light (I live in an emmissions inspection state). Changing out the brittle & cracked evap hoses fixed that. On my 360 I can see everything relating to that pretty clearly by pulling the battery out (which on my PU is front corner, drivers side of engine bay).

My pickup had obviously spent a lot of its life parked & I am pretty sure it never had any maintenance done to it besides oil changes. I tried to catch up on all basic maintenance including several flushes & changing all the coolant hoses. I am pretty sure that your 4.7 is the same basic block & set up as my 360; so don't forget your short preformed (I guess it is a bypass from h2o pump to block) hose buried underneath your AC compressor. I honestly didn't change mine when I first did all my other hoses; I didn't get to it until I replaced my H2O pump a year later. (I also changed the serpentine belt when I did my initial hose change; it was stretched & cracked & I'd bet was the original.) (& speaking of serpentine belts, my GMC has a separate belt & tensioner for the AC; a couple of years ago the tensioner fragged out & wiped the AC belt, so I went into a tensioner changing jag on EVERYTHING I own, including my Dakota. "Better to change parts in your own driveway/garage than on the side of the road or call a tow truck" is the credo I TRY to live by.)

·
Registered
145 Posts
The 4.7L is a 287. It's based off the old 289 Mustang block from the 60's with a 90 degree angle (magnum)but with some mopar engineering and fuel injection. The 4.7 is the replacement of the 5.9, (which was replaced by the 5.7 HEMI) some similarities apply, but for the most part it's completely different because of the updated ECM/PCM. RockAuto is a good starting point, but it's only a proxy for junk/salvage yards mostly. You can find some new'ish parts on it, but mainly used parts with no guarantee.

·
Registered
2003 RT with 5.9
322 Posts
Thanks for the knowledge, MoPar. I knew that the 318 was basically the same engine as the 360 with a different stroke & bore, & somewhere I must have got the impression that all Chrysler small blocks were same basic block. Thinking about it, was the 4.7 the overhead cam engine they brought out in the early 2000? As far as Rock, for me, they've been good so far. (Low mileage, little or no salt, & I haven't had to get into anything beyond routine stuff.) I did send the PCM out to have it repaired once, but beyond that, it's been nothing I couldn't take care of beyond routine parts changing.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
The 4.7 is the AMC-designed OHC motor.

I don't know how it was "derived from the Mustang 289"; there's not any parts in common between the two of them, and it's a different design philosophy than the Windsor motors were.

RwP

·
Registered
145 Posts
The 4.7 is the AMC-designed OHC motor.

I don't know how it was "derived from the Mustang 289"; there's not any parts in common between the two of them, and it's a different design philosophy than the Windsor motors were.

RwP
The engine block alone was, if you will, inspired from the 289. They share the same 90 degree cylinder angle, which Chrysler later dubbed Magnum. The parts obviously aren't interchangeable, and the Windsor was carbureted w/push rods. The 289 (4.7L) was just a displacement guide of the 287 Chrysler 4.7. The OHC, fuel injection/manifold throttle body, PCM. Was straight out of Chrysler HC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got my factory service manual off one of the links on this website at on the main page for my 2000 Quadcab. It was $15 for a pdf download. It's awesome it's got every nut and bolt on the whole truck. But it doesn't have all the part numbers. I downloaded a separate PDF with the full factory parts list for the whole truck. I wanted to replace my pcv & evap hoses recently as well but the part number for my 2000 4.7 is discontinued. I even had my local Dodge dealer do a nationwide search and they couldn't come up with anything. Some of the EVAP hoses just fuel rated line that you could probably use from anywhere and cut to the right length. The PCV plastic hoses are what is discontinued.
Where did you find the parts list? Not sure where to look on this site.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The 4.7 didn't get any redesigns till 2008. All model years up to 2007 should still fit. It's still probably a dead end, but maybe worth the search. I would probably just backyard engineer a replacement part. Using straight heat resistant plastic hoses, and high heat rubber hose for the angles and bends. Just use hose clamps to connect it all. I did something like that when the plastic line going to the PCV snapped while trying to replace the PCV. Seems to work fine. The PCM isn't detecting any vacuum leaks.

Good Luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts