Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yes. It's integral with the heavy cable that runs from the alternator to the main distribution panel (MDP). If you follow the positive battery cable to the MDP, the fitting where it bolts to the MDP also includes the cable from the alternator. About four inches from this fitting, you will see the size of the alternator cable changes for about three inches. This is the fusible link.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. The electrical problem is back and I'm worried this time it's a shorted wire or the fusible link. I'm guessing right now the link is easier to check than exposing all the wire from the battery to the alternator to look for a short.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no charge current from alternator. occured before and found open circuit from battery to input to alternator. the signal plug had come out of the alternator. that is not the case this time so i'm looking for an open between the battery and the alternator. not wanting to peel the wiring harness if possible.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Before you tackle too much - take a multi meter, disconnect the battery negative and then the positive, then check for continuity from the alternator charge output to the battery. If you've got a very low resistance, then it's not an open.

And it's not a short - *pet peeve* You're looking for an OPEN. An OPEN is where current doesn't flow where it should; a SHORT flows current when it SHOULDN'T. A SHORT would be letting smoke out and making a fire ...

RwP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts