Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to lift my 02 dakota but dont know what direction to go in, leveling kit or body lift? any pros or cons of either of them i should know about?

·
Registered
116 Posts
To get more views and possible responses i recommend re posting this questing in the help, or modifications sections of the forum. but yo properly answer that question I would need to know what you want to get out of your lift.
in my experience if you just want to get the front up out of the dirt the best way to go is to just tighten up your factory torsion keys.
I also know for fact that your factory keys can get you 3" + of lift in the front of a 2nd gen dak. However without modification to your factory bump stops your upper a-arms max out at 3" and the quality of your ride drops to near 0.

that being said you can get the equivalent to the "3" lift Kit" by instaling 2" add a leafs or blocks in the rear and tightening up your factory keys to suit.

any more lift than that you'll want either a body lift or invest in the 5.5 lift kits that relocate all of your suspension parts to maintain factory suspension geometry.

dont buy lift keys they are a huge waste of money.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I disagree I put the keys on mine and the ride is way better but that could just be the longer shocks whatever you do if you stretch out the suspension make sure to make an adjustment with the shocks.

·
Registered
242 Posts
the aftermarket keys are keyed to a different degree to get the twist you need to get the torsion bars to lift the front of the truck the stock keys will bottom the bolt out against the frame the new keys are turned 1/4 of a crank farther out therefore putting more twist into the bar allowing you more flex in the suspension without bottoming out the key it has more.... for a better word "float?"

·
Registered
242 Posts
you could of course take the stock key off rotate it around one click and put it back on but just getting the bolt back in would be putting a crazy amount of twist and would be extremely dangerous I would be scared to try it. just a 1/4 turn in the bar is an awesome amount of torque. I would absolutely not recommend this but if you do it please put up pics unless of course they are to graphic.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Welcome to the Z Family from Germantown, Maryland!
Glad you decided to join us.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts