Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2002 dakota sxt 4x4 a few weeks back. Has 101k miles, exterior is in great shape so I don't think it's been beat too much. Anyways, I've noticed the transmission has been a little off since I got it it likes to shift somewhat hard into gear and you have to hit the gas pretty good to sipped up passed about 50mph. Haven't noticed anything really wrong with the rpms jumping around. Was just wondering is this the beginning of the end for my transmission? Or is the hard shifting somewhat normal for the Dakotas. It's an automatic btw. Any comments would be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi Dale,

The Daks in those years generally have a smooth shift with a firm but not rough engagement. I wouldn't say your trans is on the way out without doing a lot more diag. Work. When was fluid & filter last changed? Fluid level correct? How does fluid look - bright red, dark red, brown? Does it have a "burnt" smell?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure when fluid was last changed. I just bought it less than a month ago and didn't ask the guy. I checked it and it looks like a transparent fluid with a hint of reddish color. No burnt smell. And I wouldn't call the shifts rough, just a little jerky, when I hit it normally from a stop it'll go into the first few fine but getting into 3/4 and up it shifts with a somewhat sudden jerk that moves you back in your seat a bit. Never owned a dodge at all, so maybe it is just normal and I'm not used to it.. No slippage or anything either. Just jerky hard shifts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Under harder accelerations the pressures in the trans are high and gears can shift very firm. Coupled with the higher RPM it's shifting at and it can definitely feel a little harsh. No slippage - fluid looks and smells good - no worries!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts