Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport, club cab, 3.9L V6, 5 speed manual
994 Posts
I'm including a link to a YouTube video showing the procedure. He has the full console. Your picture and my Dakota has only the small mount for the two reading lights, so our unit will have only two clips holding it in besides the screw in the center front, instead of the four clips shown in the video..

Changing map lamps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm including a link to a YouTube video showing the procedure. He has the full console. Your picture and my Dakota has only the small mount for the two reading lights, so our unit will have only two clips holding it in besides the screw in the center front, instead of the four clips shown in the video..

Changing map lamps
I saw that video, but didn't finish watching it because the dome light is different than mine.

·
Registered
994 Posts
What you enclosed as a picture is not technically a dome light, it's called reading lights, map lights, or overhead console. The dome light is behind the driver. The picture is identical to mine, and mine comes out exactly like the video, with the exception of having only two clips instead of four, besides the single screw in the front.

Are you trying to get the bulbs out or remove the lenses for some other reason?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Well, that's the page in the FSM that covers the dome lamp. The picture in your original post is not of the dome lamp. You can go to page 28 of the manual and see instructions for the reading lamp (no diagrams).

I offered an option, a good one because I have used it, but you insist on disregarding it. Maybe someone else has another way to approach the task. But I don't see any other responses.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Forgive me, I called it a dome light but they're actually called reading lights. As I said, on page 26 it shows the reading lights. It shows to pry the lenses off with a small screwdriver, not to remove the whole console.

Attachments

·
Registered
994 Posts
Your manual is a different one than mine, but agrees with the instructions in mine. But note on the video, that the guy is offering an alternative that doesn't chance breaking the lenses by prying with a screwdriver. Removing the single screw and 'popping' the console free takes less than a minute, and is an easy way to get to the bulbs. Probably easier than trying to get (for me) my big fingers into the recess to remove the bulb.

Good luck on your efforts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts