Dakota Forumz banner

2004 Dakota cooling fan issue...

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  lenstar65 
#1 ·
Hey everybody! The cooling fan in my 2004 Dakota 4.7 liter engine is bad... It was manufactured in the end of 03 and somebody said that they changed the cooling fans in 2004? Mine has a pigtail with the plug on the end of it... I was told some have the plug up in the shroud? Any input would be appreciated... Thanks

#2 ·
Hey how are You? I've some thoughts on Your situation...
Have You seen the Actual Cooling Fan that has the power Connection, "in the shroud", like You mentioned? I ask because it may be possible that the 'in shroud' connector might be the 'pig tail' You mentioned, with that cord routed in and/or through the shroud. Know what I mean? So if that is true, that says it may not matter which one You get, as they would or should both work for Your needs. What do You think of this?
I am unfamiliar with the Set-up's of the Electric Fan Assemblies as My 2002 Dakota 4.7 liter V8 does not have that set up. It uses a Clutch Fan Assembly.

#3 ·
I am unfamiliar with the Set-up's of the Electric Fan Assemblies as My 2002 Dakota 4.7 liter V8 does not have that set up. It uses a Clutch Fan Assembly.
I'm pretty sure you do have an electric fan, or at least your Dakota had one when it left the factory. According to the FSM, all V6 and V8 engines used an electric fan in addition to the mechanical clutch fan in 2001-2003. RockAuto lists the electric fan for both V6 and V8 engines. I used to think I didn't have one either on my 2003 V6, but found I actually do have one when I replaced my radiator a couple of years ago. It's really hard to see with the fan shroud and clutch fan screening your vision. And the electrical connector is indeed below the lower fan shroud.

#5 ·
Thanks everybody for the responses! I was just going by what my mechanic was telling me... It definitely has an electric fan I looked it up and the truck left the factory with heavy-duty cooling also... I'm pretty sure the doorman 620 - 029 is the correct product... I was not quite sure what my mechanic meant when he said connector in the shroud... But he did clarify the one that's in my truck now has a pigtail like the one I found from Dorman

#6 ·
Thank you everybody for your help! The new fan has been installed and I did purchase the one with the pigtail... I also had a hundred and eighty degrees thermostat put in just for Extra Protection to keep the engine cool... It's running nice and cool now stays right around 190 hundred ninety-four degrees when it was about 90 degrees outside and I was running the AC... It was running around 215 to 220 degrees before which was too hot period. I believe some of these trucks left the factory with a 203 degree thermostat?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.