Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004, Dodge Dakota, V6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy everyone, looking to pick a few peoples brains around here with regards to radio wiring.

So my 2004 Dakota has the stock AM/FM and cassette radio in it. I've got a crap ton of CD's so been looking at an upgrade. I gotta admit, I do like my music and ever since I was a kid first things I've usually done to my vehicles after purchase has been new radio and speakers. Stock speakers in this truck sound pretty good though. Still kind of torn on the route to go... I don't know if it's just me, but I kind of like the lines and look of the stock radio and the way it sits in the dash. My searching of this forum has lead me to some interesting options, namely the Chrysler radio upgrade, but having to get a certain model so it's compatible with my truck. But I've also come across refurbished radio's such as this:

Musical instrument Gadget Electronic device Audio equipment Multimedia

Seen this one with the aux installed, and then another that had bluetooth capability. Only concern I have is the wiring. Seeing as I've got the AM/FM cassette, will the CD player version such as above be plug and play with the existing wiring harness? I would assume (we all know what happens when you do that) that the speaker wires (hot and the ground, speakers etc) would all be run the same between the radios. Plugs on the back are the same from all the pictures I've found.

Or maybe I just go the nuclear option and install this monstrosity and give up the factory OEM dash look

Mobile phone Telephony Telephone Portable communications device Mobile device

Then maybe a subwoofer... and an amp.... Maybe some tweeters in the sail panels... OK, getting ahead of myself, should figure out the radio first and then go from there :D lol

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport, club cab, 3.9L V6, 5 speed manual
957 Posts
I 'upgraded' the stock AM/FM/cassette unit in my 2003 Dakota to a (stock) AM/FM/CD player, and had to do nothing to the wiring. It works fine.

·
Registered
2004, Dodge Dakota, V6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I 'upgraded' the stock AM/FM/cassette unit in my 2003 Dakota to a (stock) AM/FM/CD player, and had to do nothing to the wiring. It works fine.
Appreciate the info oldmarine. Wanted to make sure before I did it. I have a horrible habit of overthinking things though so that usually gets me in trouble lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
I didn't trust putting a used original am/fm/cd in my '03 Dakota. I found this online place and they have phenomenal customer service. They fixed me up with an aftermarket Pioneer DEH-S4220BT unit...and included the adapter wiring harness, the custom fit dash mount, and the adapter antenna hookup for my vehicle. You can call them anytime 24/7 for tech help and I found no wait times or hassles at all. Anyway, I'm highly impressed and love my new setup.
All Car Stereos at Crutchfield

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2004, Dodge Dakota, V6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't trust putting a used original am/fm/cd in my '03 Dakota. I found this online place and they have phenomenal customer service. They fixed me up with an aftermarket Pioneer DEH-S4220BT unit...and included the adapter wiring harness, the custom fit dash mount, and the adapter antenna hookup for my vehicle. You can call them anytime 24/7 for tech help and I found no wait times or hassles at all. Anyway, I'm highly impressed and love my new setup.
All Car Stereos at Crutchfield

Hope this helps.
Oh i know about Crutchfield. Been using them since my first car and have spent way more money with them than I'd like to admit to be honest.

Never liked the slide out/flip up type of head units. Too many moving parts to break. Double DIN are better. With Metra kit 95-6547B you can easily fit one in. View attachment 3965
To be honest that looks nice and clean. Only issue I've been seeing with radios such as that one is the modification to the dash requirement, at least, that's what the crutchfield fit department has been telling me. I'll be honest when I say I'm more confident pulling the motor from my truck then I would be cutting around inside the dashboard. Just know i'd bugger it up somehow/somewhere and then be pissed off about it every time the screwup caught my eye.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oh i know about Crutchfield. Been using them since my first car and have spent way more money with them than I'd like to admit to be honest.

To be honest that looks nice and clean. Only issue I've been seeing with radios such as that one is the modification to the dash requirement, at least, that's what the crutchfield fit department has been telling me. I'll be honest when I say I'm more confident pulling the motor from my truck then I would be cutting around inside the dashboard. Just know i'd bugger it up somehow/somewhere and then be pissed off about it every time the screwup caught my eye.
You don't cut anything behind the panel, just the panel itself. There is already a large enough opening in the dash. It boggles the mind why Dodge didn't just put the bigger radio in there in the first place.

·
Registered
2004, Dodge Dakota, V6
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You don't cut anything behind the panel, just the panel itself. There is already a large enough opening in the dash. It boggles the mind why Dodge didn't just put the bigger radio in there in the first place.
Good to know. Few videos I watched show cutting of the side and a few pieces inside the dash so the unit fits as far as depth goes. If it's just faceplate as opposed to that, well that opens some options lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts