Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to dodge ownership
I have a 2005 Dakota 4.7 4x4 6 speed manual
When the truck is cold first thing in the morning I can shif the truck just fine
But once the truck heats up I can’t shift into reverse while the truck is running
If I shut it off I can shift no issues
Could it be a slave cylinder issue or old fluid
The previous owner beat the truck half to death
I am wondering what kind of transmission fluid goes into the dodge 6 speeds
And is it possible to bleed the clutch slave cylinder
Any help would greatly

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have a five speed manual and had a similar situation about five years ago, but initially only when the truck was cold. It got progressively worse until it was doing it all the time. What's happening is the input shaft (and countershaft / cluster gear) is turning even when the clutch is disengaged. You won't notice it in forward gears because the synchros will match and prevent the grinding while engaging. I doubt that it's the fluid because you should experience it more when the truck is cold if that were the case. And if you can get the truck into first without grinding while setting still, and the truck remains stationary with first gear engaged and your foot off the brake, your clutch is disengaging properly.
It turned out that mine was the pilot bearing - it fits over the tip of the mainshaft into the crankshaft recess. On mine it was a ball or roller bearing that had frozen up. On many vehicles, it's a bushing. I don't know what is on yours, but it is a likely cause for the issue you have. You have to pull the transmission to replace it, and depending on the mileage, I'd strongly recommend replacing the clutch, pressure plate, and clutch release bearing while you're in there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts