Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased this truck. It didn't have a battery when I first went to look at it. So of course no engine light. I drover the truck and it runs GREAT. But of course after a few days, P0420, P0456 & P0457and gas cap reminder over odometer. I found the broken bolts on the left exhaust manifold. New manifold and bolts. Took care of the P0420. Smoke tested system. Found leak detection pump (NVLD) not closing on command. Of course... I have the quad cab. So tank had to come out to replace it. But I did it. Replaced that and bought a brand new MOPAR gas cap. Cleared codes. Gas Cap immediately returned to my dashboard. And a few days later, the P0457 returned. Then a few days after that, the P0456. Shop replaced the Canister Purge solenoid. Cleared the codes. Again... Immediately after that, the GAS CAP lit up over odometer and codes came back a few days later.

Anyone have any other ideas????

·
Registered
697 Posts
Give this a read, this issue has popped up a few times over the years in the forums.
It seems to be a headache when it happens, good luck.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Been their done that. A very common problem. Used to get the same EVAP codes, then it'll go to o2 sensor codes of all four banks. Then misfires will pop up, misc trans codes. Luckily I didn't replace what you have. I just kept resetting the PCM till I couldn't take it anymore. Bottom line 95% it's a PCM. 5% it's something else

·
Registered
120 Posts
There's cheaper refurbished PCMs online, than the $1,500 FCA wants. You just gotta give them your vin. Should come with a lifetime warranty. I got mine for $250.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's cheaper refurbished PCMs online, than the $1,500 FCA wants. You just gotta give them your vin. Should come with a lifetime warranty. I got mine for $250.
Where did you get it? Because a P0420 is popping up now too. I disconnected the battery he other day while I was doing something else. Now the P0456 & P0457 are gone. But I have a P0420 and a P0440. And no Gas Cap light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts