Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3rd gen Dakota that I bough a year ago. I love this truck. But it has a couple quirks. 1. No matter what I do, the gas cap light will not shut off and I cannot get the Evap Emissions to complete the check. Even using a scan tool, it will not complete. We smoke tested this thing 3 times. Replaced EVERYTHING. I am convinced that there may be a PCM issue. Any thoughts????

2nd. The transmission temperature light comes on randomly. And of course when it does, it messes with the shifting. If I pull over, put in in park and shut the truck off and start it up, no light and everything is fine. I dropped the pan and changed both filters and the fluid. Mind you, the fluid was red. So it looks like it was changed recently. Here is what is weird. The cooler lines do NOT go to the radiator. I have never seen this before. They go right to an auxiliary cooler. Is this normal? The radiator has a spot for the lines to go. Did a PO eliminate the radiator or is this factory?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
737 Posts
A previous owner may have added the auxiliary trans cooler, I'm thinking because when the connector to the radiator fails, you need to buy a new radiator. You cannot buy the transmission line / radiator connector separately, and it was probably cheaper, or easier, to add another trans cooler. And make sure that you use OEM Mopar transmission filters, aftermarket filters cause issues in these trucks.

You can download the 2005 Dodge Dakota Factory Service Manual for free HERE, it may help with the Evap issue, which can be a headache.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts