Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 2005 dodge dakota 3.7L v6. 2WD

I am thinking about buying the rough country 2.5" leveling kit that they have for $200.
.or.
I was also wondering if I could go to a pick and pull/junkyard and buy suspension parts from a bigger truck. Maybe a ram1500. And use some parts from that truck to add aome lift to my truck? Maybe bigger coilovers or other parts.

Any suggestions????

Also after i lift it I want to get some 31's for my stock rims. Any auggestions?

·
Registered
740 Posts
You're better of going with a 2" max leveling kit, over 2" will wear out front end components and you'll be replacing parts regularly. Daystar has a 2" leveling kit that is popular, as well as the Trailmaster 1.5 leveling kit, both around $100. There are no parts from a Ram or other trucks that will fit onto a 05+ Dakota, at least not without modification.

As for tires, after a leveling kit is installed, you can go up to a 31.5" tire, 265/75/16, 265/70/17 or similar with larger (18's, 20's) wheels. And you may have to do some very minor trimming for the front tires, it may rub on the front splash guards and wheel well liner at full turn. Nothing to worry about, and will not be seen without looking for it.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lifted 07

I just lifted my 07 2wd with a 3" Heavy Metal Lift and new front struts for @$350. Will easily fit 31's or equivalents which I instead to do with new wheels. Body lift is next. Stay tuned.

Attachments

·
Registered
740 Posts
I just lifted my 07 2wd with a 3" Heavy Metal Lift and new front struts for @$350. Will easily fit 31's or equivalents which I instead to do with new wheels. Body lift is next. Stay tuned.
You can fit 31.5" tires with any size leveling kit, with the possible minor trimming.

I hope that you got either the Rancho or Monroe struts, those OEM's are junk.

·
Registered
740 Posts
are their any other lift kits besides the 2'' leveling kits out there
For the 2005+ Dakotas, the only way to lift our trucks so far has been with a front leveling kit (1.5", 2", 2.5"), rear blocks or add-a-leaf, and/or a 3" body lift. It's not recommended to go above a 2" leveling kit on a 4x4, it puts the CV joint at a bad angle. Very recently, a member on another forum has put together a 6" suspension lift and has made it available (Jack My Ride). No real feedback on the JMR lift yet.

You can see the website for Jack My Ride here.

There are also a couple of videos on Youtube.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I am new to dakotas and am very close to purchasing a 2007 slt 4x4 but being able to lift it a bit is needed for hunting and fishing trips. Dakotaff, what lift are you running and what size tires? Also, what is your current ground clearance with them? Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hey guys, I am new to dakotas and am very close to purchasing a 2007 slt 4x4 but being able to lift it a bit is needed for hunting and fishing trips. Dakotaff, what lift are you running and what size tires? Also, what is your current ground clearance with them? Thank you for the help!
I only have a 1.5" leveling kit, so there's not much extra clearance. The tires are 265/70/17 GY Duratrac.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not super car smart so I'll ask a potentially dumb question: Does the addition of a 2" level kit mean that the front end will directly be 2" higher? I go camping in the mountains a decent amount and could use those extra 2". Please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi. about the lift kits out there, for the 05-09 Dakotas 4x4 do not put any body lift over 2 inches because u will be replacing cv safts and ,hub bearing on a regular basis,but if u want to put on a full lift with no problems than- jack up my ride- makes a very good lift for the Dakotas.but this full lift 6 inch suspension kit is not cheap and requires someone who knows how to install it

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi, the 3inch heavy metal lift kits that are on ebay for the 05-09 Dakotas are not compatible for the 4x4 models because it put the front cv shafts at a bad angle which will wear down your cv shafts drivers side and passengers side and wreck your hub bearings in a short period of time, to prevent this from happening u need to purchase high angle cv shafts which costs a lot more money but the extra cost is worth it because they will last the life of the Dakota truck. speaking for experience.

·
Registered
740 Posts
hi. about the lift kits out there, for the 05-09 Dakotas 4x4 do not put any body lift over 2 inches because u will be replacing cv safts and ,hub bearing on a regular basis,but if u want to put on a full lift with no problems than- jack up my ride- makes a very good lift for the Dakotas.but this full lift 6 inch suspension kit is not cheap and requires someone who knows how to install it
Man, it's tough to read your posts. I think you meant 2 inch leveling kit, because there's no issue installing the PA 3" body lift.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 05 4WD Dakota that I would like to put a 2 inch front and 1 inch rear lift kit plus a 1-2 inch add-a-leaf in the back. I want to improve the capability of the truck not the look. I feel the truck sits very low when I do put heavier weight in the bed/hitch without coming close to max load capacity.
Looking forward to your input.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts