Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I went to start my truck and when I inserted the key all the dash lights came on and I got the ding/chime but when I turned the ignition I got nothing from the starter. Then all of the lights on the dash went out, then I noticed I had power to nothing (dome lights, headlights stereo, nothing at all). Got the battery tested they said it was fine, I put the battery back in and turned the key to the on position and still nothing. So I pressed the brake, moved the shifter to drive then back to park and all of the dash lights came back on and I got the ding chime then it started fine. Since then I have noticed that my dome light headlights, and any other type of lights are pulsing, or inconsistently dimming. Also the ac button lamp will intermittently blink... while the ac is completely off and when this happens if the flow output dial is set to fresh air/face vents I get air blowing through them while the airflow dial is at zero. My Truck is auto trans but no power door locks or windows,, its the bare bones model. Only thing I have diagnosed was the battery and it was fine, I will check the alternator today and update tomorrow. Any help is greatly appreciated, below is a recap of what I have observed.

The light issues and chime are when in park at idle but I have only noticed the other issues while driving

1.) Lights surging or dimming.
2.) Very faint sound of chime (extremely hard to hear).
3.) Fan will randomly turn on for a few seconds. It runs on the lowest speed and turns on even with the fan speed set to off
4.) A/C light blinking randomly
5.) If vent setting is on one that is for fresh air, fresh air vent motor can be heard opening and closing the vent door (this occurs at the same time as #4 & 3).

·
Registered
17 Posts
What is your location? If you are in the northern states where salt or brine is used in the winter, rust is the issue. This sounds like a ground issue. Try running a jumper cable from the negative battery terminal to a body ground, then an engine ground. Check to see what works in each case. The cable lugs might look good, but the rust prevents continuity.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in modesto (central ca.), so on my way home the same issues were happening. I stopped to get a second battery test along with an alternator check and this time they told me the battery and the alternator may need to be replaced. So I bought a new battery and got some new terminals, while installing said components I found that there was a loose connection on both the negative and positive side. I got everything back together nice and tight and so far I have no dimming issues with the lights... I will have to wait until tomorrow's ride into work at 3 am to see if the air conditioning issue is gone but my guess is that it will be. My new question is what should my voltage at the battery be while the truck is running ? I am getting 13.62v while idle, I'm hoping that is good and I don't need a new alternator but I guess that would still be better that getting a new front control module (bcm) since those suckers are so pricey.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts