Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Dakota
Heat/AC works only if fan is on High. Set to any speed below high and the ventilation system shuts down.
Has anyone here seen and cured this?
TIA!

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport, club cab, 3.9L V6, 5 speed manual
986 Posts
It's a bad blower motor resistor. On High setting, power goes directly to the blower. On any other setting, it goes through the resistor. Before you order a replacement, pull out the bad resistor and check the connector. Often, the connector will 'weld' itself to the resistor. You can get replacement connectors -- this happens often.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The only FSM for third generation Dakotas that I have is for the 2005. It states the resistor is near the blower motor in the a/c ducting behind the glove box -- pretty much the same place in the 2003 Dakota. FSM says to remove the glove box to gain access, then remove the screws holding the resistor in place (you'll see the connector with about 5 or 6 wires). I don't have to remove the glove box on mine, but things may have changed for 3rd generation. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it! Behind glove box on end of heater/AC plenum assy. PITA to get it out, the connector has a red locking tab on the side away from me that can't be seen. This tab must be slid sideways to release the connector. :mad: The resistor pack is mounted with a pair of small screws I can barely see, TORX. Hard to get my hand in there... But with a few choice words I got it out. Yup, resistor between pins 2 and 3 is open.
My local O'Reilly's has one on the shelf. Hi Ho Hi Ho, to the parts store I go!!

Thank you for your help!!

Makanak

·
Registered
986 Posts
Don't know what year your Dakota is, so it could be any of a number of things. On models 2000 or earlier, it could be a vacuum issue -- reservoir, vacuum lines, control panel, etc. On 2001 or later it could be the control panel (which includes the fan motor switch), blower motor, blower motor resistor (as happened to OP), or wiring between these components.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got it! Behind glove box on end of heater/AC plenum assy. PITA to get it out, the connector has a red locking tab on the side away from me that can't be seen. This tab must be slid sideways to release the connector. :mad: The resistor pack is mounted with a pair of small screws I can barely see, TORX. Hard to get my hand in there... But with a few choice words I got it out. Yup, resistor between pins 2 and 3 is open.
My local O'Reilly's has one on the shelf. Hi Ho Hi Ho, to the parts store I go!!

Thank you for your help!!

Makanak
Recently went through the same with my 2004 Dakota. /replaced the resister etc. failed again within a couple of months. replaced the fan motor, resister, everthing! flawless since. Seems resistance in the wiring causes all the problems. So I had the wiring replaced (where it feeds into the resister). Increased the cost but fixed it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts