Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if this has happened to anyone else. 2010 about 45000 mi not hotrodded or abused. Stopped at a traffic light, gave a little gas on green truck made a loud bang moved about 1 ft then nothing. First thought was it's the trans. I was able to push it backwards across three lanes of traffic into a parking lot. Turned out that the pinion shaft broke. I have owned and driven way more cars/trucks than I can remember never had this happen. :eek:

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I think that had a manufacturing defect; look at the break. There's part of it well rusted and dulled, and most of it bright and shiny. That well rusted and dulled portion is an old break.

I'd zoom in, but I can't get it any larger than your thumbnail, so I can't get a good pic to mark what I'm talking about, but I think it may be obvious.

RwP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Ralph.

I agree it was a mfg defect. I'm lucky the failure occurred when it did. Had it failed when I was moving it would have destroyed the differential. The rust happened after taking the pinion out. That area was the last part holding when it broke, about 15 to 20%. The shiny metal on the pinion was caused by me pounding on it to get the bearing off. I wanted to measure the shim under the bearing. Here's the pic instead of the thumbnail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts