Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Dodge owners.
This morning I had a check engine light come on and noticed at around 30-35 mph it felt like the automatic transmission wasn't shifting to the next gear.
I limped in to the nearest autozone and it came back with 3 different codes all had to do with the tcm switch. I was wondering if this is something a amateur could fix. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Hello fellow Dodge owners.
This morning I had a check engine light come on and noticed at around 30-35 mph it felt like the automatic transmission wasn't shifting to the next gear.
I limped in to the nearest autozone and it came back with 3 different codes all had to do with the tcm switch. I was wondering if this is something a amateur could fix. Any help is appreciated.
Not enough information here.
Didn't know the 2010 had a TCM. I know that in most the 45RFE? is controlled in shifting by the PCM. The fact it wasn't shifting to the next gear and not just a hard shift could be anything.

We would need to know if the transmission managed to hard shift hydraulically), based on the highest rpm before the shift took place.

If it didn't shift out of first or second gear..it could be a number of things causing that
Also knowing the codes would be helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the help carverman. I just found out through the dealer that there isn't a TCM on the dakota. So much for autozone. I will try to get a printout of the codes and compare them to the codes on this site.. The dealer wants $105.00 just to read them. Thanks again.

Keep on truckin'

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also Caverman, it's not getting out of second gear. Once I hit 30mph the rpms just climb. by 35-40 im at 3,000rpms

·
Registered
830 Posts
Also Caverman, it's not getting out of second gear. Once I hit 30mph the rpms just climb. by 35-40 im at 3,000rpms
It's going into "limp mode". That is normal when the PCM (Powertrain Control
Module) or computer decides that the codes are serious enough it doesn't
want to shift.

The shifting is done electronically by the PCM based on feedback from the
governor (solenoid) pressure sensor and the TSS (transmission speed sensor).

The newer models go into "limp mode" so you can drive it home slowly.

I once spent $120 to get the dealer to read the code (#1 injector missing)
and then some more to purge the fuel line, but the check engine light
came back on on the way back from the dealers....and that was the last
time I took it to the dealer. I bought a Haynes manual and a handheld
code reader and fuel pressure guage after that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts