Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
New here. Thanks for the add.
Wondering if 245/75r16 will fit my '06, 2wd. Quad cab. Aspect ratio being only a bit larger, I thought they might. Rolled one up next to truck and now not sure.
Anyone have any first hand experience so I don't have mount/demount trial tire? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A few members have installed 245/75/16 on their Dakotas without any issues. My opinion is the tires are pretty slim for the 8" wide alloy 16" wheels, but it's beeen done.
Stock tires were 245/70 so no width difference. I have the cheap steel wheels. Just saw someone question the ability to put an E rated tire on these rims. That'd be a new one to me, but have always had heavier duty vehicles.

·
Registered
764 Posts
The steel wheels are 7" wide, so no worries there. The only issue with the E rated tiires are usually that you have to lower the pressure to allow a nice contact patch with the road.

·
Registered
15 Posts
And if you have auto transmission, take the truck in and have the computer calibrated for the larger tire size.

Went above my OEM tire size on my '07 Dakota, when I bought new tires last year, then headed out on a 2500 mile trip.

Found the transmission shifting more, and not the same torque on hills it had with the smaller tires.

Had it calibrated, but still not as smooth with the smaller tires.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have a 4 wd. 2002 dodge dakota,the previous owner had installed 265/75r16 tires on it. other than making it under powered and if you turned the wheels all the way right or,, left they would rub, however after about 6000 miles wear on the tires the rubbing has stopped. my truck has a manual 5 spd transmission and if i come to a hill i shift into 3 rd. gear and it will run 60 mph in 3rd., might be a different story with an automatic transmission though good luck 01hunter570

·
Registered
15 Posts
You might have a steering stop bolt you can adjust, so the bigger tires do not need to wear off the inside edge if tread, before they quit rubbing.

Not sure but if you look under the truck behind the wheel, you might see what I am talking about.

See this pic from a CJ5, the bolt just above the tie rod facing left mounted on the steering knuckle, is how they used to build them to adjust the turn stops.

Now it might just be a nub cast into the steering knuckle with no adjustment.

Automotive tire Wheel Wood Tread Tire

1 - 8 of 8 Posts