Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2wd 03 dakota quad cab 4.7 liter. Everything on my truck is basically stock. I go hunting and I am always worried about getting stuck. I do mostly city driving and i also hunt. I only put 10,000 miles a year on my truck. I read about limited slip diff and locking diff. Would either of these help? I also am thinking about putting a small suspension lift and a size bigger all terrain tires on my truck. Would any of these help my situation? I dont know much about this stuff. Any help would be appreciated! P.S. I don't want to go mudding or anything, I just want to be able to get around while hunting without having to worry about getting stuck.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Hi and Welcome to the Z!!

im not much of an off-roader myself but i do know that even with a 4x4 you can still get stuck, you're just spinning 4 wheels instead of 2 :)

off road tires and a lift would be a good place to start

as far as the differential goes, as far as i understand it, the limited-slip that comes on some of the dakotas (like mine) means that torque will be applied to the wheel that has the best traction, instead of an open diff that will just spin one wheel while the other doesnt move at all. to check which one you have, jack up the back end and turn one of the rear wheels. if the other wheel turns in the opposite direction, you have an open differential

or do a burn out, if you smoke both tires you have a limited slip or anti-spin as Chrysler likes to call it

at least that is how i understand it. if i'm wrong just switch it LOL

·
Registered
250 Posts
This is straight from the service manual on the Dakota 8 1/4" rear end.

When one wheel looses traction, the clutch packs transfer additional torque to the wheel having the most traction. This differential resist wheel spin on bumpy roads and provide more pulling power when one wheel looses traction. Pulling power is provided continuously until both wheels loose traction. If both wheels slip due to unequal traction, Trac-lok® operation is normal. In extreme cases of differences of traction, the wheel with the least traction may spin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts