Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this 2000 sport and I got to crank it 2 times every time I start it. only occasionally will it catch the first time. the guy I bought it from put an after market intake, I'm not sure if that's screwing it up. I will change fuel filter and check fuel pressure. my chevy fuel pump activates when key is turned on and off and that engine catches immediatly. new member, so I hope I'm doing this right. thanks guys.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I just bought this 2000 sport and I got to crank it 2 times every time I start it. only occasionally will it catch the first time. the guy I bought it from put an after market intake, I'm not sure if that's screwing it up. I will change fuel filter and check fuel pressure. my chevy fuel pump activates when key is turned on and off and that engine catches immediatly. new member, so I hope I'm doing this right. thanks guys.
What do you mean by cranking two times before it starts...two revolutions of
the crankshaft and all 8 cylinders drawing in air and fuel before the spark comes
along?

1. Check fuel pressure at the fuel rail test port with a proper fuel pressure
guage, it should be at least 45 psi.

Changing the fuel filter on the dodge means removing the fuel module and
that means dropping the tank.
Fuel module has: electric fuel pump
fuel pressure regulator
fuel level sending unit
and the fuel filter, of course.:rolleyes:

How inconvenient and not a very well thought out design as you have
to change the whole fuel pump assembly to change just the filter, I believe.

I don't know if these (fuel filter on the 3.9/5.2/5.9) can be bought separately
in your area, because I couldn't get a separate one for mine where I am.

Two autoparts places told me that they had "no listing" for the fuel filter by itself..so..it appears..that you have to buy and install the whole fuel module and that is a big job,and expensive too!

You have to drain the tank, drop the tank from the straps (or remove the truck
cargo box) and be careful of fuel vapours as you remove the fuel module from the tank, as well as installing the new fuel module.

I would definitely check the fuel pressure first. If it's at 45ps..Leave it alone..don't go "fixing it if it ain't broke!" :D

Fuel pressure should be at 45 psi as soon as you turn the ignition key on and the engine doesn't have to be started either.

If you have at least 45psi as soon as you turn the key on, then check
the ignition system for spark at #1 cylinder by turning the crankshaft
with a large breaker bar at the crankshaft nut.( Ignition key on.)

You need to know if spark occurs on the cylinders on the first revolution
of the crankshaft.

If you get a spark at #1 sparkplug, as soon as cam sensor passes the
#1 cylinder lobe, then you know you are getting spark and it has
to be something else., possibly the.injectors or crank sensor which governs
the injector timing..
or something that is preventing either the spark or injector pulses to occur.

If you are not getting a spark right away, then it COULD BE one of the sensors (cam or crank), that is not producing sufficient pulses for the
spark or injector timing to occur immediately. After a few cylinder timing pulses
have occured, the sensor "wakes up", it starts to function and you get a spark or injector function on the second revolution of the crankshaft.

These are semiconductor Hall effect sensors and are notorious for intermittent
problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks caverman!

Thanks for the info. your right . I don't like fixing stuff that ain't broken. I replaced the fuel pump on my gmc and that wasn't that much fun. When I say I'm cranking it twice I mean to say the engine rotates about 8 times each time I activate the starter but only starts the second time. thanks for your advice you sound very knowledgeable. my kids 280 z has an extra injector in the manifold to give it extra juice for cold starts but that was then.... If this is the only issue I have with this vehicle I'll be happily surprised. The young man I purchased it from felt it necessary to completely burn all the tread from the rear tires. Thankfully the hard starting is the only issue this truck has, otherwise it runs strong, drives great, is cosmetically almost perfect and has no leaks. I'm knocking on wood of course!! Thanks again! your new dodge friend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts