Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was tired of getting 12MPG'S due to having this engine on a 4wd Quad cab truck with 285/75/16s so instead of taking off the tires i figured i would put on my own CAI

instead of buying a K&N CAI for some rediculas $$$ i bought a K&N cone filter and a peice of DIY intake from autozone from a guy on another forum for $30

then i bought a 4" straight peice of intake tubing belive it was like $8

and a peice of 90deg bed tubing that again was like $8

and a peice of trans cooler line (freebie sence it was under a foot of scrap at autozone) to adapt my PCV valve line down from a, i think it was 5/8" tubing down to a 3/8" ID hole to fit over the adaptor on the intake tubing, i took my intake tubing in allong with the PCV hose so i could ensure fitment...

then cut the gromment on the intake tubing to fit my AIT sensor and extended the wires to needed length...

put it all together and didnt like the fittings on the tubing so i went back and bought 3 spectra rubber intake tubing connectors that were blue and stuck them all on there...

and took out the little rubber flap that goes between the radiator and the headlight to cover that hole so i could get some clean air running to the filter...

before

and heres what it looks like now

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
nice! that is how you git-r-dun!! no sense in spending so much money when you can do one yourself for next to nothing. good job! rep points for that!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
exactly what i said lol... i try and do everything i can to save a lil and figured someone here could use this info and even if you have the 3.7 3.9 4.7 5.9 whatever you can adapt to work for your application

·
Registered
2 Posts
i was tired of getting 12MPG'S due to having this engine on a 4wd Quad cab truck with 285/75/16s so instead of taking off the tires i figured i would put on my own CAI

instead of buying a K&N CAI for some rediculas $$$ i bought a K&N cone filter and a peice of DIY intake from autozone from a guy on another forum for $30

then i bought a 4" straight peice of intake tubing belive it was like $8

and a peice of 90deg bed tubing that again was like $8

and a peice of trans cooler line (freebie sence it was under a foot of scrap at autozone) to adapt my PCV valve line down from a, i think it was 5/8" tubing down to a 3/8" ID hole to fit over the adaptor on the intake tubing, i took my intake tubing in allong with the PCV hose so i could ensure fitment...

then cut the gromment on the intake tubing to fit my AIT sensor and extended the wires to needed length...

put it all together and didnt like the fittings on the tubing so i went back and bought 3 spectra rubber intake tubing connectors that were blue and stuck them all on there...

and took out the little rubber flap that goes between the radiator and the headlight to cover that hole so i could get some clean air running to the filter...

before

and heres what it looks like now

hey
that intake looks pretty good man. Ive been looking at cai's for like the last 3 hours and dont know which intake would be more bang for buck. The one im leaning for is the AEF cai stage 2. And yea my truck gets like 13 mpg when im babying it lol and mines AWD which kills my gas.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you could buy a peice of aluminum and then make a gig out of a old pizza box and make you your own heitshield again for less of the cost

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey SPC,

Thanks for the awesome pics. I just went out and built the same setup as you showed. The only thing I changed was that I drilled the right side of the 90 degree bend to allow me to keep the AIT sensor in the same factory location instead of extending the wires. I have custom built intakes for some of my previous vehicles and did the extended wires thing but have had issues later on with sensor malfunctions due to the extended wires having more resistance than originally intended from the factory. I will be working on a Aluminum heat shield to block the heat and direct the cold air a bit better to the open air filter. It is crazy how much the open air wakes the 3.7 up. I am going to try and design the heat shield to be able to mass produce them for anyone on here that is going with SPC's design. So, if anyone else is interested in a heat shield PM me so I know if I need to make this shield user friendly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts