Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys first time on a forum not to sure how everything works, just started working on truck and really learning about how everything really works about a year ago, I've had a 4.3 Chevy s10, Dakota rt, and now I've got myself a little 2003 3.9l 5 speed Dakota, now my plans are to either build this engine....or go right ahead with the swap, now I've heard its pretty dang hard to find a manual tranny that will go with the 360rt, bit can I get som input on the swap ? What engines are compatable with my 5 speed transmition, any of you go e through it ? Would love to hear back ! Thanks
Zach

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
well from what i have seen/read. you should have the nv3500 trans. the 3.9 and the 5.2 came with them. they will bolt right up to the 5.9 but the 5.9 is over the torque rating so it might not last forever. i believe most ppl look for the nv4500 trans out of a ram to put behind the 5.9.

·
Registered
126 Posts
this is your truck and by all means do with it what you want to it but I think a 318 engine will be the best. The 360 has more problems than the 318 and only 15 more hp and, I believe 30 more ft. Ibs. Torque. With very few engine mods the 318 can well surpass that without the problems of the 360. 318s can be good well up to 500,000 miles depending on what you use it for and how you run out. It also has better mileage and like Niebs said the nv3500 will bolt right up to the 318. Now, I'm sure you could get your tranny built to handle the 360 but that could get expensive. Like I said it's your truck do what you will with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts