Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep thinking, I read somewhere, that when I do my 5.2 swap in my 98 Dakota, I can use my 3.9 ECM and pin the other 2 injectors for the 5.2. does anyone know where this info might be?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
You would need new code, IF! your V6 ECU has all the drivers for the extra two cylinders. So talk to your tuner. (It ain't gonna run out of the box like that, no way.)

Why not just swap in a 5.2/5.9 ECU and take care of it that way?

(You'll also need the extra two wires from the ECU to the engine harness.)

RwP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I realize I would need it flashed and all that. I just can't find a V8 Dakota around me, in the salvage yards, that have a 5.2. they are all 4.7 or 3.7 trucks. I was just going to pin out my harness and have it reflashed, so I could have a 5.2 5 speed manual ecu

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I realize I would need it flashed and all that. I just can't find a V8 Dakota around me, in the salvage yards, that have a 5.2. they are all 4.7 or 3.7 trucks. I was just going to pin out my harness and have it reflashed, so I could have a 5.2 5 speed manual ecu
Try checking car-part.com or hollanderparts.com . Or even RockAuto for a refurbished ECU.

Before you say they're too much, also check into what it will cost to get your current one reflashed. And check and make sure you DO have the injector drivers on the board; you may not, which means you'll still only fire six of the eight cylinders.

RwP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just curious, will a 5.2 Durango ecu work on a Dakota? I've been told that the full-size ecu's aren't a direct hook up, by several folks. I'm just trying to figure out all this electronic mess. Most of my experience is in carbed and diesel engines, I can work on electronic engines but I don't know much about what will go where. I came really close to an LS swap but I'd rather just do a direct drop in and go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts