Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My recently purchased 2006 SLT Quad Cab came with a Sony aftermarket head unit. The original CD stereo was nowhere to be found...... It appears to have just been the standard stereo - no evidence of tweeters in the doors.

What I WANT is a FACTORY AM/FM/6-CD changer with built-in Sirius XM.
I not finding anything on E-Bay that would be a direct replacement. I AM seeing some newer Chrysler brand units available, but they don't have the odd 'ring around the tuning/volume knobs' faceplate.

• Has anyone done this sort of modification to your 3rd-gen Dakota dash? What was entailed in the dash modification?
  • Are there any units that WOULD be a direct bolt-in that would meet my requirements?

·
Registered
740 Posts
You need to get a Mygig unit (Like this one), make sure it's a Low Speed Canbus model. Not sure how the Sirius works, and if it's part of the unit, or need a separate part. I believe to get the Navigation (Not included on all Mygig radios) and Sirius to function, you may need a dealer to activate that feature with their StarScan tool. Otherise the Mygig Lockpick Pro should enable all functions to work.

It's definitely easier and cheaper to just install something aftermarket.

For the Mygig, you'd need to fill in the 'ears' of the radio bezel to make it look better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to get a Mygig unit (Like this one), make sure it's a Low Speed Canbus model. Not sure how the Sirius works, and if it's part of the unit, or need a separate part. I believe to get the Navigation (Not included on all Mygig radios) and Sirius to function, you may need a dealer to activate that feature with their StarScan tool. Otherise the Mygig Lockpick Pro should enable all functions to work.

It's definitely easier and cheaper to just install something aftermarket.

For the Mygig, you'd need to fill in the 'ears' of the radio bezel to make it look better.
Thanks for the info. You've been a very big help. Does that MyGig unit fit in that actual opening you're showing? It looks pretty w-i-d-e.......
Marshall

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'm not sure (not at all), but I think it will fit right in. Don't go by my word though, I know a few members have installed a Mygig unit in their Dakotas, hopefully someone can answer that question.

I had a chance a few years ago to buy a whole setup from someone who was selling their Dakota. It included a Mygig, Lockpic, all wiring, and a modified radio bezel, all for about $800 IIRC. I wish I would have bought it when I had the chance, oh well.

·
Registered
2011 Ram Dakota Laramie (QC, 4.7L V8)
50 Posts
The MyGIG has the Sirius built into it. The MyGIG with an "N" on the model also have navigation. For example, 430 does not have navigation, but 430N does. 730N includes Bluetooth Handsfree built into the radio; 430N does not.

In my 2011, they are a direct swap for the stock REQ radio (same size, cabling, etc). Neither require a trip to the dealership to get the Sirius or navigation to work. 430N requires a trip to get the Bluetooth to work because it is a separate module.

Both also support a back-up camera (future project for me). But, that will require a trip to the dealership to activate the codes...or, buying an OBD Genie from someone like infotainment.com.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just ordered a factory AM/FM 6-CD with added-on Aux plug receptacle, from 1FactoryRadio.com. I'll also be adding one of those free tuners that Sirius XM offers. Just gotta pay a few bucks more per month for the 2nd subscription.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Congrats! What are the 3 letters in the bottom right corner of the system?

ProTip: when your subscription period is up, just tell them that you will cancel unless they extend your new subscriber rate. Been able to keep mine for the last few years that way.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats! What are the 3 letters in the bottom right corner of the system?

ProTip: when your subscription period is up, just tell them that you will cancel unless they extend your new subscriber rate. Been able to keep mine for the last few years that way.
Haven't got it yet. Should be a RAQ - O05091720AD

And yeah, I'll be 'negotiating' with Sirius. I've been a customer since 2010......

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bumping this to the top, because I'm finally installing the factory 6-CD stereo unit I bought a couple of months ago.

• GOT A NEW QUESTION REGARDING THE PLUGS....
  • On the back of the head unit there are two plug receptacles - the regular 20-pin one, which matches the male end inside the dash. THEN, there's the smaller 8-pin receptacle, about 1/2 inch square. I don't have a corresponding male plug for this receptacle. What is this for?

(I'm guessing it's for the steering wheel stereo controls, which my truck doesn't have - I've only got Cruise Control buttons.)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would start by asking the guy you bought it from. But, looking at some photos online (your vendor's eBay listing), that should be a 10-pin plug.

On my radio, the 10-pin port is where my microphone plugs into the radio. So, my first guess is that it's where you would attach the Handsfree Module (separate item) to get hands-free calling.

But, a couple of other sites suggest that it is where the external audio and auxiliary units plug in. Those would be your XM receiver, a CD changer, and an auxiliary port.

Adding Factory uConnect in RAQ - JeepForum.com (see pin-outs)
Chrysler 2004-2008 CD6 MP3 radio (RAQ) (see written features description)

You might also ask one of these guys. They specialize in repairing the Mopar radios.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would start by asking the guy you bought it from. But, looking at some photos online (your vendor's eBay listing), that should be a 10-pin plug.

On my radio, the 10-pin port is where my microphone plugs into the radio. So, my first guess is that it's where you would attach the Handsfree Module (separate item) to get hands-free calling.

But, a couple of other sites suggest that it is where the external audio and auxiliary units plug in. Those would be your XM receiver, a CD changer, and an auxiliary port.

Adding Factory uConnect in RAQ - JeepForum.com (see pin-outs)
Chrysler 2004-2008 CD6 MP3 radio (RAQ) (see written features description)

You might also ask one of these guys. They specialize in repairing the Mopar radios.

That Aux Adapter unit looks like it would plug in, but I already paid a bit extra when I bought the head unit to have a female aux plug socket put in. So - this would be unnecessary.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did a little more research since you mentioned adding SiriusXM. I'm not sure what your plans were. But, here are the parts for the factory solution:

-- or ---

The antenna, module, and bracket might be available on eBay. Wiring harnesses might be more difficult to find.

Some other references:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, I think we've got a plan.....
First thing I did this AM was to find out if the Accessory Power Outlet under the dash (Cig lighter for you really old guys) was powered ONLY with the ignition ON, or all the time.Found in the owner's manual that fuse location #22 (diagram on the underside of the fuse box lid) was SWITCHABLE . All you have to do to power it all the time is to move it from its 'inboard' position to the 'outboard' position. That took all of 2 minutes.

Next problem was, both the Sirius XM tuner module, and the dash cam I bought use those huge, ugly plug units that go into the Accessory Power Outlet, and I only have ONE PLUG. With the little useless binnacle next to the Power Outlet (space used for the passenger air bag on/off switch in the Club Cab models), I have more room down there FOR MODIFICATION.....

Went Amazon shopping, and found this:

Should be very easy to install. Now, all I have to do is buy 2 USB cables - one with a Mini-USB end for the Dash Cam, and the other with 5.5mm x 2.1mm round post, for the Sirius XM unit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you're going to permanently install something, particularly behind a dash, you could use this to tap the same circuit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you're going to permanently install something, particularly behind a dash, you could use this to tap the same circuit.

Thanks for your help, Pat. Got it all figured out now. Parts and cables on order from Amazon. Went to Best Buy to see if they had anything. Wanted to sell me TWO cables for like $35 that would only solve the Dash Cam hookup. Got EVERTHING from Amazon for around $32....... For the Accessory Plug to USB change, I actually went with this one - much simpler......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts