Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned our 03 Dakota 3.9 for one year and after a lot of over due service it has served well for 13,000
miles. Reading somewhere I saw one year or more had a larger oil pan. I would like to find one of the larger
pans if they clear gen two cross member. I'd also like to add a thermostat controlled oil cooler. I check my oil
at every fill up and the stick is hot as heck. Steve

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just never know what you can find crawling under a Dakota. Changing oil today ( a very warm day ) Inoticed the oil pan has a part number stamped into it. 53020911 followed NA185AO2 can anyone identify this pan? Thanks Steve

·
Registered
545 Posts
53020911 is the number of the stock oil pan for the 3.9L V6 in the parts manual. Don't know what the other number is.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, still wondering if there is a 4.5 qt. pan for the 3.9. While changing oil today I noticed the oil filter which is kind of short has no room to get a filter wrench between it and the frame. Adding a cooler adapter would not allow the filter to mount in normal location. Maybe a remote filter head along with a cooler. And of course a thermostat control to maintain min. oil temp. Steve

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, still wondering if there is a 4.5 qt. pan for the 3.9. While changing oil today I noticed the oil filter which is kind of short has no room to get a filter wrench between it and the frame. Adding a cooler adapter would not allow the filter to mount in normal location. Maybe a remote filter head along with a cooler. And of course a thermostat control to maintain min. oil temp. Steve
As I continue to look into another oil pan option for my 3.9 V6 I have found a second part # 53020611 if you look at the oil pan just as it clears the cross member and rack there are two numbers stamped into the pan. Seems either the 2000 or 2001 3.9 carried a 4.5 qt pan. If I can confirm this I'll be looking for one. The mature Marine did a look and it seems this pan could have been on Dakota, Durango and Ram 3.9s. Thanks for looking. Steve

·
Registered
545 Posts
Could not find 53020611 in any 'official' Mopar listings, only as one of the compatible OEM part numbers for third party manufacturers. The link shows one site selling the Dorman version, and the specs show it has a 4.5 quart capacity. And it shows the OEM part number 53020611 but not 53020911, which kind of supports the theory that the -0611 oil pan was also a 4.5 quart capacity.

I've heard mixed reviews on Dorman products, but this item doesn't involve any technology, so I'd say it's a safe buy.

Find Engine Oil Pan Dorman 264-240 fits 92-03 Dodge Dakota 3.9L-V6 motorcycle in Wichita, Kansas, United States, for US $69.44

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could not find 53020611 in any 'official' Mopar listings, only as one of the compatible OEM part numbers for third party manufacturers. The link shows one site selling the Dorman version, and the specs show it has a 4.5 quart capacity. And it shows the OEM part number 53020611 but not 53020911, which kind of supports the theory that the -0611 oil pan was also a 4.5 quart capacity.

I've heard mixed reviews on Dorman products, but this item doesn't involve any technology, so I'd say it's a safe buy.

Find Engine Oil Pan Dorman 264-240 fits 92-03 Dodge Dakota 3.9L-V6 motorcycle in Wichita, Kansas, United States, for US $69.44
Thank you for the help in locating the 4.5 qt pan. I'll get one on the way. I drove a 300 6 cyl Ford van for 17 years and after it started using oil I noticed at 1 qt low the water temp would begin to rise towing at highway speed. I feel the additional oil will help with cooling.
Having raced British cars most of my life I'm used to using Mocal oil coolers and oil system parts. They offer a thermostatic sandwich plate and cooler take off. It by passes the cooler till 180 F then opens for cooling. The plate is 1.300 inch thick and after changing oil and filter last week I know how close the filter is to other things. I have coolers of 8, 10, 16 and 19 rows. I'd like to end up with an additional 1/2 qt in the hoses and cooler. Steve

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nothing is as easy as it should be. The link provided shows 4.5 qt. in the spec sheet. Before the link was provided I emailed Dorman and ask what the capacity for their pan is. I received a reply from their tec line stating 4 qt. Has me wondering. I have tried the phone number from the link no longer in service. I have tried contacting via e mail no reply. Guess I'll wait till I'm sure what I'm dealing with. Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts