Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all, This is my first post on the Dakota forum. I'm sure i'm beating a dead horse here but i will ask anyway. I have a 1999 Dodge Dakota sport extended cab 4x4 5.2 magnum that i purchased new and have enjoyed this truck the whole time i have owned it. Problem is i live in illinois and the truck truck has turned into an absolute rust bucket, cab mounts are completely gone the upper A arm mounts are almost rotted off of the frame, its just not safe to drive anymore, the drivetrain is still bullet proof and runs as new with 150k on it. I recently bought a 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4 4 door with a blown 4.7 cheap, it is rust free and in good shape. Ive looked the trucks over close, i believe swapping the drivetrain will be of minimal work. The wiring harness is mainly my question. Is any of the body harness compatible with this swap for example: back door power windows, locks etc. or will i have to swap entire dashes and harness from old truck. I realize i will have to swap pcm and associated wiring for the engine swap but unsure about the body harness itself. Possibly even steering columns as ive heard that the pcm may read something in the column? Any advice would be appreciated, this is probably another stupid project i shouldnt have started but i enjoy driving the Dakotas so much i want to keep them alive. Thanks, Kirk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, Kirk. I applaud your bravery in considering the swapping of engines. Not too many years ago this would not have been a questionable idea. A SBC was a SBC, a Flathead was a flathead and they didnt know what vehicle they were in. Now, even though I have
not done this kind of project in many years, I hear so much about the computor controlled
and matched electronics that I would be "chicken" to try such a project. I know on the "car shows" on TV that we all watch, these swaps are common, but usually they involve cars old enough that they are not plauged with the computor stuff.
So I have no help to offer, just respect to you for trying. Good luck, and please keep us
posted , with what ever you decide ! John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John, both trucks are low dollar so i shouldnt have much in the project but my time. If things get to bad i can always call the junk yard and have them towed off. HAHA, Thanks, Kirk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts