Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ECU doesn’t like the J code that’s already been installed, and the tuner isn’t able to reconcile their differences. I’m being told my last gasp is with the dealer.

Background- The N code lost a piston ring and no machine shop in the state would bore it out. I found a J code with half the mileage for $950, bought it, and had the shop do the R&R. And just in case the N code’s ECU wouldn’t accept the J code engine, I bought a J code ECU (the ECU for the J code I bought had already been sold).

The yard that sold me the J code ECU wasn’t completely honest. It came out of a 4x2 with a 3.55 and I’ve got a 4x4 with a 3.93.

To my knowledge nobody checked the tone rings directly, although I’m not sure that would be wholly necessary because both engines have the same number of plugs.

The N code engine, J code engine, and mismatched J code ECU all came from 2005 Dakotas.

How can this be rectified?

·
Registered
647 Posts
I don't think any Dakota came with a JTEC PCM in 2005. They switched over in 2003. You can tell for sure which tone ring you have by pulling the CKP sensor (right side rear of block), and counting the notches on the tone ring while rotating the engine. 32 notches, you've got and NGC engine. 16 notches is a JTEC.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts