Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys... I've got a 2003 4x4 with the 4.7l.. Last year, the wife pulls in with the engine making a puffing noise, (low power, bad misfire).. Pulled the valve cover, checked the rocker arms.. all arms in place, no bent valves.. Pulled the #3 plug (or it could have been the #5, it was last year when I had apart last).. Anyway, beside making a lot of noise, the engine was running better on 7 with the plug out, than with the plug in.. Took it to my very trusted mechanic,. thinking I needed a head gasket,.. My guy tells me, he didn't even want to take a look at it .. He tells me, these 4.7l are notorious for cracks in the cylinder/block.. So I do some looking around, and can't come up with "4.7l spit block".. But I see a lot of 4.7l trucks with bad engines, really cheap.. Anybody got any info on this problem ? Any solution if in fact the block is spit?.. I asked my mechanic about a engine swap to a different engine, He says "nope".. nothing else will bolt up to that 4x4 tranny..

What say you?.. Thanks for any and all responses...

·
Registered
17 Posts
15 years of production so there are some broken ones,most failures are due to lack of proper maintenance and over heating.I would get a factory remand or other high quality engine remanufactured engine and get your Technician to do the exchange. Tranny is the same for 4 wheel or 2 wheel,different rear case assembly is installed with accessory drive for the front axle

·
Registered
404 Posts
Some 4.7s seem to be prone to overheating issues, and some of the early engines did have some problems ranging from sludge build up and overheating due to some engines being made with thinner castings….but your mechanic can't confirm any of this if he doesn't actually look inside, no matter what he has heard or suspects. A cracked block could be possible but I think it's less likely and I would be more inclined to believe that you have either a cracked head or blown gasket. The only way to know for sure is to pop the heads off and take a look.

Now if your mechanic is that good and has correctly diagnosed a cracked block without ever seeing it, there is no other solution than to replace the entire engine. You can swap to different engines but you would need to swap transmissions. This will add to the overall cost which means you will need to determine wether or not the truck is worth repairing

Ed

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can pick up a reman long block for about 3k. If you are getting a puffing noise then it is a problem with your combustion chamber not block. I would think head gasket, improperly seated valve, or piston rings. What does your plug look like is it wet, dry, oil fouled? Was there any smoke out the exhaust if so what color? Have you done a compression check on the dead cylinder?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts