Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Dakota 4.7L that just fully rebuilt from crank up. I put it back together and now it cranks but want start and its firing the plugs and getting plenty of fuel. Any ideas??

·
Registered
526 Posts
Compression check will give you clue on correct valve timing. Did you change any components, specifically the tone wheel on the crankshaft or on the camshaft?

·
Registered
20 Posts
OldMarine: Being a military guy, you may get a charge outta this: Back in '75, did my own valve job on a '57 Cad at the auto hobby shop on NavSta SDiego. Put it back together, and nothing. Checked everything. Still nothing. Going crazy, no left over parts --- it should crank. Checked firing order, rechecked firing order. Went to lunch and stewed. Then, it HIT me! Being a Navy guy, all things shipboard are odd numbered on the stbd side, even numbered on the port side. But, NOT with GM. #1 cylinder is NOT on the stbd side! Switched the plug wires to the correct sides, and she fired up beautifully, and ran another 10 years. Ha! .

·
Registered
526 Posts
You're right! Engine layout varies widely, and it doesn't help when some engines are transverse mounted and #1 may be tucked under the firewall. It's always a good idea to check the manual, regardless of how long you have been working on cars. (Or maybe, especially if you have been working on cars a long time because things change so much.) Thanks for your service!

·
Registered
20 Posts
You're right! Engine layout varies widely, and it doesn't help when some engines are transverse mounted and #1 may be tucked under the firewall. It's always a good idea to check the manual, regardless of how long you have been working on cars. (Or maybe, especially if you have been working on cars a long time because things change so much.) Thanks for your service!
Thanks for yours, too, Old Timer! (I assume) Served with 1st ANGLICO in the Mekong Delta. Also 2/12 (Arty) on Okinawa. Ran the 3rd MarDiv Naval Gunfire School out of Subic. Live 5 minutes south of CPendleton. Hats off to you Marine warriors. You're the best!

·
Registered
526 Posts
I flew helicopters (CH-46) with HMM-261, HMM-164, HMM-263, and HMM-266. Also flew Hueys as a flight instructor with HT-18. Served a FAC tour with 2/2, and got to work with Anglico guys in the med. Air support is great, and Naval gunfire is awesome! Semper Fi.

·
Registered
20 Posts
FAC --- hot stuff! Flying helos --- hot stuff! My intro to helos (getting to my duty station in Vi Thanh) was in a Loach w/ a 22 year old Army warrant who took me tree level height down one of the rivers --- were so low, the RVNs were bailing out of their boats. Then he asked me if I wanted to auto-rotate. Said "sure" like a dumb a$$, so he shuts down up there, and we thump, thump, thump down for a few seconds, and he turns it back on... jaws!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did the same thing I rebuilt the motor and everything new sensors and now I'm having the same problem did you find the problem?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts