Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought I blew my motor up and pulled it. It sound super werid. I pulled the motor and got a 4.7l out of a 2002 dodge ram 1500. Someone said that the new motor I put in might be a high output motor. Could that cause a crank no start. New fuel pump, new crankshaft sensor and I'm pretty sure the 5 voltage wire is supplying 5 volts to the sensors. It wants to start but backfires and shoots flames out of the intake. The timming looks good but it just sounds super werid and need some advice.

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport, club cab, 3.9L V6, 5 speed manual
847 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the 4.7 in the 2002 Rams was the same as in the Dakotas, and has a 16 tooth tone ring for the crankshaft and the tone ring for the camshaft is also different than later models. What year was your 4.7? And I have not heard of an HO version for 2002 4.7s. If you're using an NGC ECM (four connectors), it requires a 32 tooth tone ring on the flywheel, and the newer version camshaft tone ring. In 2002, ECMs were JTEC (three connectors).
You can change the tone ring on the camshaft without too much problem, but to change the tone ring on the crankshaft, the crankshaft has to come out of the engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty sure that the 4.7 in the 2002 Rams was the same as in the Dakotas, and has a 16 tooth tone ring for the crankshaft and the tone ring for the camshaft is also different than later models. What year was your 4.7? And I have not heard of an HO version for 2002 4.7s. If you're using an NGC ECM (four connectors), it requires a 32 tooth tone ring on the flywheel, and the newer version camshaft tone ring. In 2002, ECMs were JTEC (three connectors).
You can change the tone ring on the camshaft without too much problem, but to change the tone ring on the crankshaft, the crankshaft has to come out of the engine.
My 4.7l is a 2000. I have a pcm which is a 3 connector. I am getting a camshaft code but I replace the camshaft sensor. So do you think the camshaft tone rings are different?

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport, club cab, 3.9L V6, 5 speed manual
847 Posts
Like I said, I'm pretty sure the 2002 Ram pickups still used the JTEC PCM (3 connectors), so your replacement engine should have the correct crankshaft and camshaft tone rings, as long as the timing chain set hasn't been messed with. (I just checked RockAuto, and they sell timing kits with both type cam gears for 2002, with the advice to be sure to verify with the cam gear being removed is the same.)
If you didn't see the donor vehicle and verify it is a 2002 with a JTEC PCM, pull the crankshaft sensor out and look at the crankshaft tone ring, looking in behind the right front tire or by using a mirror. See this YouTube video for guidance: determining teeth on crankshaft tone ring

1 - 4 of 4 Posts