Dakota Forumz banner

42RH transmission slips-freewheels on first drive of day

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  mandahlspeed 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some guidance about possible problems regarding an intermittent but increasingly frequent transmission issue. I have 94 dakota RWD with 3.9 V6 and a 42RH transmission (3-pin connector). The transmission is a reman unit that was installed about 3 years ago to replace the previous unit. Engine and tranny are stock and its a daily driver, light duty. The dodge factory "anti-drainback" check valve in the trans oil-cooler line was removed (more on that below) during the installation of a new oil cooler supplied with the reman transmission.

The issue is the transmission momentarily slips or "freewheels" from the engine when I first drive the truck in the morning, after it has been parked overnight on a level parking lot. Specifically -- I start up the engine, wait few seconds, then I Reverse just fine on a Slight incline uphill about 50 feet, then shift to a Forward gear (low or drive) to drive up the next portion of the driveway that is VERY STEEP (25-30 degrees) until i get to roadway above that is level. The transmission never slips/freewheels while initially Reversing out of the first short leg of the driveway. When I shift to Forward to go up the steeper section, the truck does moves forward firmly for about 20 feet or so then the slip/freewheeling event starts to happen. I usually put it in neutral, roll back to the landing, put it in Forward again, and leave it rev lightly until the transmission grabs hold again. Sometimes it repeats the issue one more time on the same very steep portion or above as i get on the level road. However, After this, once it grabs again, it works perfectly for the rest of the day. Good shifts, no slipping or freewheeling, etc in all gears. This includes even after its parked up during the day for 8 hrs, etc and driving up and down equally steep roads, pausing in traffic on steep roads, and on flat runs. Even when I come home during the day and leave again, the truck drives up that steep driveway just fine. It only occurs in the morning after sitting overnight (12+ hours). It feels like the transmission loses prime due to the steep incline. There are no odd noises, shudders etc. It just releases hold and eventually grabs again.

The fluid level in neutral is correct on the stick in the "ok" range. When the truck is shut off, the fluid goes about 1 inch higher on the stick. Fluid color is ok.

After looking online at possible causes etc, I read about the torque converter overnight draining issue of this series of dodge transmission and how the check valve in the cooler line prevents drain back. My check valve is removed as noted earlier. (I am getting a replacement for it.) Also read that the trans pump doesn't pump in Park and to run it neutral for a bit to fill the torque convertor in the morning before heading out. Even after running it in neutral on the flat parking for 5 plus minutes this morning, it still had the problem again today when I started driving forward up the hill.

What is concerning me is that it doesn't do this every single day when I leave that driveway. Many days it runs just fine. However its increased in frequency recently compared to the past. It could be it has lost a little bit of fluid, but it works fine on other steep roads afterward. And from what I have read, many folks say that the overnight drain down TC condition would not allow the truck to move AT ALL when first put in any gear (R or Forwards). My truck reverses just fine for that initial leg of the driveway. Also after leaving it run in neutral for a longer time to refill the TC, the slip/disengage still happened in Forward on that steep leg today. I could add some fluid but I am hesitant to overfill it and damage the transmission. I am wondering if I should cycle thru all the gears to ensure all the hydraulic circuits are filled/purged of air before heading out in the morning (maybe some circuits are not purged/filled after running in neutral)? It was working fine in the past with oil cooler line's drain back check valve removed. It only did this once every few months. Now its almost daily as noted above.

Any thoughts on possible causes would be appreciated. Sorry for the long read but trying to be as specific as possible.

Thank you

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.