Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short, I’ve taken my Dakota to 3 different trans shops and still have the same problem (It’s been rebuilt 3 separate times, once from each shop.) The issue is that my trans doesn’t like to go out of park into drive after I let it sit. I kind of have to rev the engine between 3-5k rpm’s and then it drops into gear hard. Kind of lost with trans, I don’t typically work on them myself but after 3 separate times and still having the same issue, thinking I’ll have a go at it. Any ideas on what it could be? Trans fluid was changed last year along with the filter. And there wasn’t any shards of metal in the pan when I changed the fluid and the filter last year.

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
757 Posts
I took a look in a FSM for an '03 Dak; in the 42RE section, and under "delayed engagement (from neutral to drive or reverse)" it lists:

fluid level low

filter clogged

gearshift linkage misadjusted

torque converter drain back (oil drains back from TC into tranny sump)
(and under this it states that a 5 second or less delay is within limits)

rear band misadjusted

valve body plugged

oil pump gears worn/damaged

governor circuit and solenoid valve electrical fault
(it says you can test this with a DRB scan unit)

hydraulic pressure incorrect

reaction shaft seal rings worn/broken

rear clutch/input shaft, rear clutch seal rings damaged

regulator valve stuck

cooler plugged

·
Registered
1 Posts
So long story short, I’ve taken my Dakota to 3 different trans shops and still have the same problem (It’s been rebuilt 3 separate times, once from each shop.) The issue is that my trans doesn’t like to go out of park into drive after I let it sit. I kind of have to rev the engine between 3-5k rpm’s and then it drops into gear hard. Kind of lost with trans, I don’t typically work on them myself but after 3 separate times and still having the same issue, thinking I’ll have a go at it. Any ideas on what it could be? Trans fluid was changed last year along with the filter. And there wasn’t any shards of metal in the pan when I changed the fluid and the filter last year.
I was having similar symptoms from the transmission in my Dakota and it had rear clutch seal ring damage among other problems, ended up needing a new trans or rebuild. Ended up going with a remanufactured build I ordered, https://reman-transmission.com/transmission-codes/?code=42RLE, as it was in stock for the 02. I'm 20k miles in on it and I will say there is absolutely none of that delayed engagement in this trans. Maybe because its new? But they also told me it had manufacturers defects amended.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was having similar symptoms from the transmission in my Dakota and it had rear clutch seal ring damage among other problems, ended up needing a new trans or rebuild. Ended up going with a remanufactured build I ordered, https://reman-transmission.com/transmission-codes/?code=42RLE, as it was in stock for the 02. I'm 20k miles in on it and I will say there is absolutely none of that delayed engagement in this trans. Maybe because its new? But they also told me it had manufacturers defects amended.
I had, and have the same problem with my 4.7 03

1 - 4 of 4 Posts