Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,
I've got a 97 4x2 that I'm looking to convert to a 4x4. it's got the magnum 5.2 V8. Has anyone on here done a conversion like this? Any tips tricks or areas of concern?

·
Registered
412 Posts
The problem with converting a 2wd into a 4x4 is they aren't always economical to do. When you consider the costs involved, it's usually more expensive to convert a 2wd into a 4x4 than it is to sell your 2wd and buy a 4x4.

Having said that, a factory built 4x4 Dakota has a lot to be desired. They aren't exactly the best platforms to build up. They have weak front ends, and very few lift options.

A 4x4 conversion will not be cheap, but since you are free to use much better parts in the build, than what came on a 4x4 Dakota, you can build it much better with greater capabilities.

This will mean lots of fabrication. You'll need axles, a transfer case, driveshafts, new suspension, a steering system, new brakes, and tons of little parts that will have to be added.

From the money perspective, you will need a few thousand. If you can come up with that, you will need an overall plan. What kind of truck do you want? Rock crawler? Mud bogger? Trail runner? What size tire do you want to run? How much suspension articulation do you need? These are things you need to consider into your plan.

To give you an idea of the complexity, heres a link to my build. In my case, my truck started as a 4x4, and includes a cab swap. Note the suspension build as this would apply in your build.
http://www.dakotaforumz.com/showthread.php?t=7655

If this is too much for you, consider alternatives. My suggestions are sell the truck for something else that better matches your needs or go a different route and build a off road capable 2wd.

Ed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts