Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Dak that is two wheel drive. Near me there is a v6 4x4 that doesn't run. Had anyone done a a 4x4 swap ? How involved is it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Obviously I know it's involved. I'm just curious about cutting/Fab. Mine is also a v6. I'm a student inan automotive program so swapping parts and the like is no biggie it's just any Fab that's different

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've not done it myself, but the entire front suspension is different. The 4x4 uses torsion bars, the 2wd uses coil springs. So in addition to changing (at least the rear housing of) the transmission, adding the transfer case, front drive shaft, and front differential, modifying the rear driveshaft, changing engine mounts, and all that involves, you will have to replace all front suspension components - control arms/ball joints, steering knuckles, stabilizer bar, etc. I'm not even sure you can mount 4x4 components on a frame made for 2wd.

You'd be a lot further ahead (all other things being mostly equal) putting your V6 in the 4x4 if you want a 4x4.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Not worth the effort. If you want a 4wd Dakota, sell your 2wd and use the money to buy the 4x4.

Ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts