Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 dakota with a 5.2 with an auto. Was looking at wanting to run a big mutha thumper cam. Anyone know if it will work with the cpu ?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have a 1994 dakota with a 5.2 with an auto. Was looking at wanting to run a big mutha thumper cam. Anyone know if it will work with the cpu ?
Yes, but not optimally.

Talk to the cam folks, see what they recommend.

If you really want to run a big mutha thumper cam, consider converting to a third party ECU (such as possibly a Megasquirt or AEM box ... those are possibilities, caveat emptor!)

Or, rewire to use a 1996 ECU and add the OBDII connector inside, and see what Flyin'Ryan can do for you (or HemiFever)

RwP

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Consider it like shoving in that cam ... while leaving the stock 2 barrel and intake on a SBC!

(BTW - You HAVE taken care of the exhaust first, eh?)

And you must be of the age I am; fuel injection's been around since the 80's for mass market (it's been around since before I was born; they offered it in 1956, my birth year!)

But let's back up a bit. Why do you want that "mutha lumpa" cam?

(Let's not specify a 1/2" diamond tip drill bit; what are you trying to mount that you want a drill bit for? Old saying - "Nobody goes into a store because they want a drill bit; they go in because they want a hole, the drill bit is just one way to get it.")

RwP

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah there was efi alround me growing up. But I only had carbed cars. The newest car I had until I got out the marine corp was a 79 Trans Am. As far as the cam I like the real lopey sound. So it doest have to be that cam, but thats the sound I want. As far as the exhaust goes I have new headers and a 2.5" exhaust with super 10's waiting to go on. I know I have seen people say stuff about flowmasters, but I like them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Simply.....NO. the computer can handle the increased airflow from headers and intake mods but reduced vacuum from a big old honkin thumperstick, no. Your engine uses a map sensor and the ECM will lose its mind without a tune

1 - 6 of 6 Posts