Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've paid the price for not verifying fuel delivery. Guess its been too many years without a wrench in my hands. 1994 5.2, fires and runs smoothly, drives and dies. Let it sit, fores right up and drives then dies. I replaced the fuel pump & filter (would rather not go into that!).

I tried spraying some starting fluid, does not fire. Let it sit, fires right up and runs until it doesn't

Older mopars would do this when the electronic ignition module failed.

any pointers?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
How long does it drive before it dies?

What fuel pressure do you have?

What's the fuel flow rate?

And - just as important - have you checked to see if the cat is plugged or not?

Do you have spark when it dies (well, when it's trying to crank and start)?

RwP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ralph,

Thank you for the response! I have not checked fuel pressure, I did just replace the fuel pump and inline filter. It runs about 10-15 minutes then dies. Wont start, I gave it a shot of starting fluid while cranking; nothing, not even a sputter. Let it cool, fires right up

·
Registered
545 Posts
This is a long shot, but easy enough to check out as the coil is very accessible. Way back when, before electronic ignitions, if an engine quit when it got warm, the first thing we checked was spark, and if no spark, then the condenser and/or the coil. I have had a couple of coils go bad, and like I said they're easy to replace. They're inexpensive - RockAuto has them starting under $10.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also would do the coil first.
I had a 92 with 175,000 miles that did a similar thing by dying every now and then. I replaced all sorts of things but it was finally replacing the computer that worked. I moved the connection on the computer. I finally realized that it would only start if the check engine light came on when I turned the key to on. Then it would start. If the light didn't come on, it wouldn't start.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a similar intermittent problem with my '03.
I was (initially) inclined to think fuel pump, but, when checked, I was getting plenty of pressure when cranking when in no-start-condition.
Checked for spark from coil next &, when in the crank-but-no-start-condition, no spark from coil. However, it would remedy itself & start.

I threw a few parts at it when the issue was intermittent; however, it devolved into a permanent crank-but-no-start-condition (which is easier to trouble shoot).
Per the book I was using, I checked for trigger voltage TO the coil & was not getting any.
I sent the PCM out to a place called (I think) SIA Electronics in Tilden Il. & they told me they resoldered a loose pin & replaced the coil transistor. This was over a year ago & I have been good since.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The last time I had a similar situation, it turned out to be a bad PCM. I bought a junk yard PCM on and it ran fine.

Ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts