Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a very strange thing happen tonight and I'm not sure what it was. Hoping to find some advice here. 2006 Dakota Club Cab SLT 4x4 6-speed manual, 77K miles. I was in 3rd gear and felt what seemed to be a washboard road in the drivetrain. Except the road was perfectly smooth. This continued for a few hundred feet. I let off the gas but it continued. I got back on the gas easy and it cleared up. Didn't happen again the rest of the way home, another 5 or 6 miles. It felt like a shudder that would start/stop, start/stop, rapidly. The only thing that comes to mind is the pressure plate wasn't completely engaged with the flywheel. Clutch has normal movement and foot pressure - it didn't feel different like the slave cylinder was failing. I thought it happened a few days ago, but it was for a very brief time and I thought at that time it was the road surface. Now I think it was the same thing as today. Any thoughts? It is 13 years old with original clutch, but I don't hot rod it, although I've been known to get on it every once in while. Thanks!

·
Registered
525 Posts
I would be looking elsewhere in the drivetrain - u-joints, cv joints, carrier bearing mounts, etc. Maybe even engine mounts. In third gear, you were applying some torque to the drivetrain (accelerating), and something got out of position. Changing the torque back and forth may have helped it get back into the proper position - temporarily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today, I started hearing a constant "loose mechanical noise" that seems to be in the vicinity of the transmission. I can "feel" the noise in the gear shift, and the noise happens with the clutch in or out. It happens only when the truck is moving, even coasting. I thought I heard the noise yesterday. Today it is definitely louder.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Does it change noticeably when you engage 4WD? Possibly something in the transfer case? (be sure you're not on hard dry surface when checking)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know, but coincidentally, I engaged the 4WD the other day when we had a frog strangler of a rain storm, and it wouldn't disengage. I had to stop and back up a couple times to force it to disengage. A buddy who fixes cars for a living said the 4WD actuators are known to go bad on these trucks. But the noise I'm hearing - it sounds like loose rings or similar clicking and clanking.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just want to point out that the manual 4x4s are super cool, nice choice. let me know what you find out. seems like a driveshaft or ujoint or something to me. maybe even the clutch? I have a rwd manual. im pretty confident my clutch is going... its starting to have shimmies under load at low rpm in higher gears.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts