Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is it possible to mate a 6-speed transmission from a gen-3 truck to a gen-2 truck? Has anyone even attempted this? I was just curious if anyone had any insight. I am looking for a way to boost my gas mileage while in tow as well as get away from such a tall 5th gear. I have a 318 5-speed 97 dakota.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
these things werent built for gas mileage much to our displeasure and im pretty sure the 6 speed transmission will not fit up to the 318. that was made for the new powertech v6 and v8 engines

best ways to improve mileage is clean engine, use good gas, switch to synthetic fluids, drive conservatively, stuff like that

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dodge just didn't wanna spend the extra time trying to help out the owners of dakota's with an actual motor. With 3.92 gears and a 5-speed they must've thought no one would be driving over 60 mph and if they were they better not like decent mileage--useless. I'm just going to find some diagrams and see what's going on. If it starts bothering me too much I just might put a 5.7 Hemi in it with a 6-speed. My uncles Challenger gets better mileage than my truck does with a 6.1 litre big-block...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Did you consider maybe a new 4.7L and switch up to a 3:55 rear. The 4.7 replaced the 318 because it gets more power and better fuel mileage. The rear has some to do with fuel mileage too. The higher the ratio, the higher the rpm's therefore lower mileage. The 3:92 is good/better for towing and acceleration. 3:55 gives a good compromise for towing/acceleration and mpg. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts