Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
This is my first post so thanks in advance. I have an 88 long bed formerly A500 with a 3:73 rear end. I've gone over to a 3 speed trans and the 3:73 is waaay to low for me. I know Mopar has other vehicles that will interchange with my truck, but I have no clue what they are or where to find a listing. Can anyone tell me what vehicles will interchange with mine without an axle swap? I'm looking for maybe a 3:23 gear. I found a 2:73 but I don't want to run 14" tires.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I'm running the 2.94 and the A998/31RH 3 speed; it's OK with P235/75R15s for my driving on the highway.

You can also find 3.55's in some 88-90 Dakotas. The 87-90 bolt right in and fit and work (only problem may be the size of the rear drums; if possible, find one with 10" drums). The 91-96 will bolt in, but you'll want to either swap your axles and drums in (to keep it 5 lug), carry two sets of tires (5 for the front and 6 for the back), or convert the front to 6 lug. And there's a LOT more wheels that'll fit the 5x4.5 than fit the 6x4.5; I wouldn't swap to six personally.

TBH, though, I'd recommend putting the A500/42RH back in; it'll be even easier on the highway, and still give you much better launch (from the stop light; or up a hill with the A/C running!)

RwP

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm running the 2.94 and the A998/31RH 3 speed; it's OK with P235/75R15s for my driving on the highway.

You can also find 3.55's in some 88-90 Dakotas. The 87-90 bolt right in and fit and work (only problem may be the size of the rear drums; if possible, find one with 10" drums). The 91-96 will bolt in, but you'll want to either swap your axles and drums in (to keep it 5 lug), carry two sets of tires (5 for the front and 6 for the back), or convert the front to 6 lug. And there's a LOT more wheels that'll fit the 5x4.5 than fit the 6x4.5; I wouldn't swap to six personally.

TBH, though, I'd recommend putting the A500/42RH back in; it'll be even easier on the highway, and still give you much better launch (from the stop light; or up a hill with the A/C running!)

RwP
I have a 8!/4 rear with 3.55 gear if interested

1 - 3 of 3 Posts