Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys got a 89 Dakota regular cab convertible with the 3.9 v6
I just picked it up two days ago with the PO saying it wouldnt start
well i got it home and found out that the distributor was not even bolted tight so i had my father in law crank it over while i rotated the distributor, i rotated it counter clockwise until it caught on the groove in the distributor shaft and well it fired and ran fine, then i tightened it down and shut it down, went to start it and nothing. unbolted the distributor and twisted it clockwise as far as i could then back counter clock wise and it started again, now it wont start at all, it will burp out of the carb/throttle body and back fire thought maybe i was 180degrees off time, so i put my 1st cyl top center at 0 on the Harmonic. now its burping out of the carb/throttle body even more, ive rear about the auto shutdown relay but never really understood how to jump across it not to mention my relays in the engine bay are not in there original spots so im not sure which one is the right relay, any help wil be much appreciated, thanks in advanced!!!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
The spark is powered by the ASD; do you have fuel pressure of 14.5PSI or not?

(Fuel pump is ALSO off the ASD for the 89).

If you have no fuel pressure, time to check the ASD circuit; relay may be bad, ECU may not be seeing pulses from the reluctor in the distributor, etc.

Also, do you have the factory service manual for your truck? (Hint: It ain't a Haynes or Chilton Dakota; those are NOT the FACTORY service manual.) I'd be grabbing that soonest so you can troubleshoot the electrical with the wiring diagrams for your year Dakota since they changed year to year.

RwP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts